The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Nigel

Is the vertical "tearing" during head movement in the video visible within XP-11, or is a something from the recording software?
it was my stupid mistake, I had not checked marked Vsync in X-Plane 11 should have noticed that.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Fantastic video Nigel!

I've got a video somewhere of a jumpseat flight I did on a Monarch A320 from LTN-GIB-LTN, arriving back at night.
The slope on the runway is very obvious as per the X-Plane example.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Chris, I am very happy with X-Plane 11, the user interface (which I failed to mention in earlier posts) is much more user friendly than FSX, much quicker in changing from day to night (as seen in the video) and also the default scenery from higher up is much better than FSX but of course P3d may excel in other areas so it is very much dependent on ones' own preferences to which sim to go for.

Should anyone decide to go to X-Plane 11 as I have done then you will find it completely different from FSX, it takes time to adjust to the way the aircraft fly and I have to admit, I really miss FSUIPC which Pete Dowson does for FSX and P3d and doubt he will do the same for X-Plane.

Finally, another YouTube Video containing 17 free plug-ins for X-Plane 11. Happy flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgyGEf1FAes

Regards
Nigel.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

I'm a recent X-Plane convert. I've yet to use it very extensively but I have covered England and Wales in 1.2m photoscenery using the Ortho software and also Simheavan's Europe-X. As you can expect it took a while (just over 12 hours) and used an awful lot of space but the results are very impressive - basically good quality photo scenery with 3D objects. Only one issue of note with Ortho scenery is that the source images can be a bit odd e.g. you can have two adjacent areas in two different seasons which is a bit jarring but that aside it's very good.

Performance wise - it's streets ahead of P3D - no stutters and 3D object (trees and buildings) don't suddenly pop into view - a big plus!

I'm currently trying to create more space so I can extend my Ortho scenery into France and Belgium but it looks like I'll have to sacrifice something and I want to keep P3D to fly stuff like the VC10. Sadly no sign of our favourites making it into X-Plane just yet.

Regards,
Chris

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

That night lighting is quite something, isn't it? I always liked night flying because you can't see the shortcomings of the scenery below, but despite the best efforts of Orbx, Taburet and others, FSX and P3D lighting has been a bit lacking.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, the night lighting is brilliant, yesterday I downloaded MisterX6 freeware scenery of San Francisco International Airport (his sceneries are a must for X-Plane 11) the airport is payware quality, I flew across to the Golden Gate then set it to darkness whilst I was flying away from it towards the Pacific Ocean, it was then I realised the difference between this sim and FSX, with FSX and maybe P3d darkness is not depicted as fully dark but in X-Plane 11 I could see naff all....no hint of horizon or even water!! :lol:

The lights of San Francisco were outstanding!! If you don't already have it plus his other airports then I would highly recommend them.

You have to create an account but it is free.

https://www.x-plained.com/ksfo-san-fran ... -and-city/

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just another HU for anyone who is thinking of having X-Plane 11.

I have just installed X Camera into X Plane and I personally think this is one plugin that you will find useful especially if you have Track IR and especially if you also have HeadShake from Simcoders. Both are free applications but you can buy X Camera to have additional features though I don't bother with them and just use the freeware version. I have given links to them at the bottom of this post.

Assuming you have HeadShake already installed as I did I found that with X-Camera it worked a lot better, all of these are plugins and if you are not happy with them just remove the folder from Resources/Plugins, no messing about with add or remove as in FSX.

One thing that I found in FSX when using Track IR was that my view in the cockpit was either too close or slightly to one side of where the pilots' head should be but with X Camera you can adjust vertical, horizon and forward/backward positions saving them for individual a/c one other point is that you may find that your forward view is slightly rolled to the left and not straight, there is a box where you set your eyepoint view Roll Offset, if you put the value of 5 in there that will put your head straight! :lol:

One other point is that if you are using Head Shake with Track IR, in the settings menu tick box to enable Track IR as well as Head Shake and also in the main menu of X-Plane 11 itself make sure that you have uncheck Track IR otherwise it will not work if you have them both checked.

Both free:

https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/x ... -x-camera/

https://www.simcoders.com/headshake/fea ... d-download

Regards
Nigel.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Hi Nigel

My new SSD arrived so I took the plunge and went for XP-11. I had used the demo and had some problems setting up my pedals (GS products) which weren't being recognised. The full version updated itself and recognised my controllers right away, although my pedals use switches for the brakes not an axis. A quick look around gave me FlywithLUA and a proportional brake script, plus a whole load of other scripts that I haven't had time to play with yet.

First impressions are that the default scenery is pretty damn good, the interface is simple, and control sensitivity is a pain to set up :wall: . Once the controls are set up it does seem more difficult to fly accurately than FSX, and trimming is more critical. The aircraft seems to interact with the environment more, crosswind landings do take a bit of effort. Scenery installation seems to be a bit of a black art, although I've not had any problems yet and haven't had to edit the ini file manually.

So far I've only added FlywithLUA as mentioned above, some freeware airports, and Paulo Ricardo's payware Mega São Paulo (it was on special offer 8) ). And yes I can see my apartment :hello: , although at the expense of frame rates, something that doesn't happen with the scenery in FSX. Future plans include some AI traffic, better ATC (there is apparently a way to use Radar Contact), and a few payware aircraft. I'm undecided if I'm going for Ortho or HD Mesh, disk space considerations probably mean HD Mesh overall with some specific Ortho files.

For now I need to get some more flight time in, and learn more about the possibilities in XP-11, but after a short acquaintance I have to say that I do like it, and will probably like it even more when I stop pressing FSX keys :S

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Alemaobaiano

Pleased to hear that you are enjoying X Plane.
control sensitivity is a pain to set up :wall:
It is a bit of a b**ger to say the least, only wish there was a FSUIPC for X Plane so that I could get my controls to how I like them, tried XPUIPC for X Plane but could not get it to work which is a pity, though one freeware which I use in FSX for flight planning is Little Navmap and it is also available for X Plane. I downloaded it and deleted the current version from my hard drive and installed it again, I can now go between X PLane and FSX depending which I am running and it works extremely well.

Get it here:https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5280 ... pdate-185/

One thing I am trying to work out is how you can alter the brakes of aircraft, I have a CH Throttle Quadrant and in FSX assigned one of the levers for wheel brakes but you have to assign 2 levers one for the left and one for the right brake, I just want to be able to use the one lever so that the braking is not as fierce. If you know the answer please post here!! :lol:
A quick look around gave me FlywithLUA and a proportional brake script, plus a whole load of other scripts that I haven't had time to play with yet.
Although I have FlywithLUA I have not yet looked into this plugin, think I 'm going to have to start on it soon though I am not technically minded!! :doh:

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 03 May 2018, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Hi Nigel

You could try this

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... oe-brakes/

or this

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... -and-hold/

I use the second one for my switch operated brakes, but it also has a single button control function.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett