Oculus Quest 2 Settings.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Oculus Quest 2 Settings.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just hope some-one who may have the Quest 2 might be able to help me out for X-Plane 11.

I am still unable to get rid of some of the fuzziness that is plaguing me, so much so that it is difficult to sometimes pick out the runway after flying downwind.

The immersion in VR is great and sat in the DC3 really felt as though I was actually in it to the point of trying to put the hand controller on top of the instrument panel then as it sunk below and I just managed to hold onto it!! :lol:

If no-one else has the Quest 2 then I would be grateful knowing whether or not views out of the cockpit is restricted by out of focus in the far distance.

Sorry to be vague but when in a race car be it saloon or open sports the visuals are so much better to the point where I have winced when another car has tried to push me off track!! :lol:

really beginning to enjoy what VR can do but flying wise........not happy. :((

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Re: Oculus Quest 2 Settings.

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Nigel, I'll see if I can give XP a go this weekend and let you know what I see.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris and many thanks, I have been viewing other forums and asking questions but so far no one has even replied. :doh:

Have ben trying various settings but unable to get anything over 20fps when at a pay-ware airport with pay-ware aircraft such as the B727 etc. With default aircraft then I can expect 32fps which still is not good enough, but when using default at Exmouth such as the default Baron 58 then looking at 50fps and that is with settings reduced right down. the visuals are not good either.

Came across a thread on Quest 2 over at the X-Plane Forum and if you go down to the 14th post by Qwerty 42 and well worth reading as he seems to imply that in X Plane 11 there is a fault in the coding which continues to put an artificial constraint on framerate performance in VR. Wish they'd fix it.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... experience

If you are able to find out anything that would improve the performance and also visuals that would be a great help to me.

I am using the Anker cable to connect to my PC and have tested it through the Oculus setup and works perfectly. I also have the Oculus Tray but do need to know what settings to use or alternatively is there another application to use with the Quest 2?

VR is really immersive and enjoying it tremendously in RFactor 2 where I have been driving anything from saloon racing cars to driving F1 cars from the 1970's absolutely brilliant and driving fast on the Nurburgring Circuit certainly so much different than from the computer screen, in VR it feels close to being actually there! :lol: The Quest 2 works extremely well in this sim as well as Dirt Rally 2.

My specs are:
i7-900KCPU @3.60Ghz (Not Overclocked)
RAM 32Gb
Graphic Card RTX 2070 (Not Overclocked)

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Nigel.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Nigel, sorry it has taken so long to reply... I spent that weekend re-grouting a patio, which meant that I was then barely able to move for the next 5 days! The joys of getting old(er) eh.

I did a quick flight in XP using the Quest 2. Launching XP using Steam VR was problematic in that whilst resolution was good Steam VR reported significant lag and the visuals were generally unstable. A second flight without Steam VR, with Oculus in the background and enabling VR hardware in-sim produced good performance with good visuals; easily the best VR experience I've had in XP. Non of the problems you are reporting. I don't have a frame rate number for you but subjectively frame rates appeared to be fine with no obvious stuttering. This was a flight from Clermont Ferrand with satellite imagery overlay and with a small payware twin biz jet (apologies - I can't remember which one). I had some odd issues with positioning in VR where the starting point in the hanger had me sitting on the floor with no way that I could see of reading the VR settings panel apart from standing up (maybe that is exactly what needs to be done). Once in the aircraft though I was sitting in the correct position.

Oculus tray was not open but I don't know whether that makes any difference to performance either way. I made no changes to display resolution in XP between non-VR and VR flight.

I have a PC similar to yours - a standard 2070 but with perhaps a slightly slower AMD processor so I would expect similar performance from both.

Hope this helps.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris , sorry for not replying sooner but for one reason or another I missed your reply completely, what with you having to recover from re-grouting a patio to me forgetting about the questions I have asked!! :wall:

Think I have more or less sorted out a lot of the problems I came across and this was basically not having reduced the graphics sufficiently to obtain smoother flights. I have now set Number of World Objects to high instead of maximum then for the GPU I have set visual effects down one from HDR and Texture Quality as with the other two settings one notch down from max and all these settings have improved performance, visually the view is good for 5 miles then gets blurry but this is expected as one user had also reported this but overall, it is a game changer, before I never used to fly the Cessna 172 from the early days of flight simming to the present until now that is. The default 172 in VR is brilliant and having flown one back in the seventies I have re-created one of the flights I made with John Harris (who was an AEO on Vulcans) from Wickenby over to Lincoln then Skegness and up to RAF Strubby and back to Wickenby. There are one or two aircraft I cannot fly near London due to heavy resources and that is the B727 and a few others, East Midlands Airport is another area that gives poor performance as well so with that in mind I used aircraft that do not require much to run well. The AWX DC3 is wonderful to fly at around 2,000 to 5,000 feet.

Still much to learn but it is a case of trial and error but the whole experience of flying in VR is amazing and that's not even mentioning using VR in Dirt Rally 2, WOW!! is all I can say :lol:

Many thanks again for your feed back Chris and hope it is not too long before you are back up to fitness!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Good to hear you're enjoying VR in XP Nigel. I hate to say it but you have to try MSFS. I get similar performance in both but MSFS graphics shades XP with Ortho tiles.

I've downloaded the latest World update, which I'm looking forward to trying but for various reasons, mainly work, I've not had the chance yet.

It didn't take me too long to recover. Now back to my usual energetic (ish) self. :lol:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I hate to say it but you have to try MSFS. I get similar performance in both but MSFS graphics shades XP with Ortho tiles.
Hi Chris, I'm afraid MSFS will have to wait a while as I have spent that much on X-Plane 11 sceneries and aircraft that I would have to uninstall X-plane just to make room for MSFS. :doh:

I know I could get a bigger SSD but at the moment I have spent a small fortune getting to where I am presently including VR. I flew in the Zenith CH750 Cruzer a small but extremely brilliant light aircraft flying at 2,000ft across South Wales and the scenery in True Earth was so true to life in VR so much so, X-Plane for me is still very much my favoured sim.

Regards
Nigel