Graphics upgrade

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

marcus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Graphics upgrade

Post by marcus »

I'm looking into upgrading my graphics card from a 256mb to a 512mb to improve my FS9, I seem to suffer from stuttering as soon as I get anywhere near dense scenery. My memory is a poxy 738mb so I'm looking at upping that as well. Would these two upgrades improve the smoothness of FS9? my processor is 2.4ghz.
I sense a disturbance in the force

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Graphics upgrade

Post by DaveB »

Hi Marcus,

I think the general concensus of opinion here will be that more system ram will show a greater improvement but a new 512 card won't go amiss either. The juddering you see when approaching dense scenery areas will probably still be there.. the best you can hope for is an overall improvement rather than slideshow to 'real world' ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

marcus wrote:Would these two upgrades improve the smoothness of FS9?
Yes.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

DaveB wrote:Hi Marcus,

I think the general concensus of opinion here will be that more system ram will show a greater improvement but a new 512 card won't go amiss either. The juddering you see when approaching dense scenery areas will probably still be there.. the best you can hope for is an overall improvement rather than slideshow to 'real world' ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
I certainly agree. When I upgraded from 512mb Ram to 1 gig I noticed a big difference in performance in FS9. Much more of an improvement than when I added a video card with 512mb memory as opposed to 256mb. Prior to the RAM upgrade I would occasionaly get a windows message "Virtual memory low - Windows will increase the size of virtual memory" (or something to that effect). Not a biggie but I did notice that FS would become somewhat sluggish. Since adding the extra memory, I have not seen that message at all.

marcus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by marcus »

Thanks for the help, hopefully when the memory turns up I'll be able to try it out. Otherwise it's dig into the pockets time for a new card :'(
I sense a disturbance in the force