XP or Vista

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

XP or Vista

Post by Sl4yer »

OK then. The Core2 Quad is here and ready to go. Well, it has been for 2 weeks actually, but I haven't got round to it...

I'm clearing out my best hard drive for a new install. Should I go for XP Pro or Vista Ultimate? I've been running both on the old machine, and I've got to say I'm reasonably impressed with Vista. The only downside I've found is that my ancient (but utterly fit-for-purpose) Nero 6 won't run. FSX seemed to run as well with Vista as with XP (although not better as promised on the box ;-) ), and Acceleration wouldn't run at all under XP (although I'm sure a clean install would have fixed this).

I'm minded to go with Vista, since it probably has better current and future support for the CPU. And it looks nice! :roll: Can anybody suggest any good reason NOT to install Vista and stick with XP?

Thanks,

James

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: XP or Vista

Post by TSR2 »

Been runing Vista for over a year, theres a learning curve, but once your over that no reason not to that I can see. Its not XP so you can't really compair apples with apples.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

i ear SP1 for vista will be out in the first quarter 08
but news from the beta testers isn't the greatest.... and it's not much faster....
................http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/20 ... demon.html

but if your in the market for a new PC............. Vista is whats on the menu
unless your building your own, or buy XP
unfortuanatly most all laptops have problems with drivers and the new Hardware installed on them
like mine
the sound card.... I can go to XP but no drivers are available for the sound card......... this is the latest info I have gotten

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

If you've got Vista, might as well go with it.

My problem with Vista is laying out the cash for it when XP seems to work fine. Now a family discount bundle at a good price (as was available in the US) might just have persuaded me, but ..............

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Well, I've finally installed the Quad Core, with Vista. And I've got to say I'm mightily impressed! About 120FPS with framerate unlimited, and sharp textures almost always. And that's with a Q&D install, no defragging or anything like that.

Next, install RP's JP, and see if SP2/Acceleration has buggered it up. And I should have enough CPU power spare to record a decent FRAPS vid now. :flying:

James