graphic Card?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

graphic Card?

Post by 233SQN »

Can anyone recommend a sub £100 graphic card? I have an AMD dual core Dell but the ATI 1300 card lets it down I believe.

Someone told me that the NVIDIA GT cards offer the best performance/value, and I think I can get 7600GT or 8600GT within budget…

Any recommendations?
Thanks

Colin Bear

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: graphic Card?

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I don't know what prices are like in the UK now but I just upgraded to a 8800GT (512 Mb) and love it. I can now run FSX with most sliders on the right side instead of in the middle or left of centre. :welldone:

My previous card was a 6800GS 256 Mb (OC'ed from the factory) and it served me well for most things and even FSX was not too bad with the sliders to the left.
Larry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Tako_Kichi wrote:I don't know what prices are like in the UK now but I just upgraded to a 8800GT (512 Mb) and love it. .
upgreaded from a fx6600 to a 8600GT 512. and went to the hilt on memeory at 4 gig

running FS9 like a dream .... a dream machine.... :flying:
my card was 124.00 about 3 months ago.... I think I saw it at tigerdirect.com for under a C note the other week.

EDITED

BTW
how about 1 gig on the video card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2306

or there is this one , but it's prolly over your budget :worried:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2306

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Can someone move this to the Virtual Spanner please xsmile

First off, before you upgrade, most decent graphics cards require additional power from the PSU so you need to check that your Dell unit is going to be up to the job. There will be a sticker on the PSU telling you the wattage. You need to see what it is and check that there is a PCI Express power lead available.

If you're looking to spend around £100, the 2 best cards you could go for are the ATI Radeon 3850 Pro @ £93.99 or the Nvidia Geforce 8600GTS @ £76.36

Given that you currently have an ATI card, if you go with another ATI product you are less likely to have any driver conflict issues that are possible when going from ATI to Nvidia or vice versa. Also, the Radeon 3850Pro spanks the 8600GTS with regards to performance.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Lancman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Lancman »

I'm using an Invidia GeForce 7600 GT with a Pentium 4 3200 GHz processor and 2 Gb of RAM and it struggles with FS9 at times.
Meddle first, understand later.