The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Multiple FS9 installs

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Can anyone help?

Today, I've added a second hard drive (F) to my PC. To this, I've added a second install of FS9 (the first being on my C drive).
When I open the new version of FS9, it sees all the settings (except add-ons) from the original. I would like to operate the new install as a totally independent version.
In order to do this, do I need to rename the FS9.cfg file?
I realise that this subject has been discussed in some depth previously, but no amount of searching has found the posts.
If anyone has any advice, or could direct me to the original posts, I would be much obliged.
Also, would I then have to re-install the FS9.1 patch to the new FS9.cfg file and if so how do you select the destination in the FS9 update program?

Regards

Kevin

EDIT - I've renamed the new FS9 to FS9b. This works, but I still can't find how direct the FS9.1 patch to my new installation.
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Kimber
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Multiple FS9 installs

Post by Kimber »

You have to rename the cfg, and I don't think you can do but one patch, unless renaming the
original cfg and let the patch fine the new one??

The patch messed mine up, got rid of it fast!! Never had any problems with the sim, now
V-card drivers, that's a whole n'other can of worms!!!!

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Thanks, Kimber.

I've been playing around and renamed FS9 file to FS9b. This has given an independant copy of FS9.
I've also managed to install the update, to give FS9.1.
Now, I'm learning to use TTools and yRoute in order to install AI aircraft. My other copy of FS9 uses JustFlights Traffic program.
Hopefully, I can get FS9b set up to represent mid to late 70's.

Cheers

Kevin

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

OK, the way I do it Kevin:

1) I have a 'virgin' FS9 installation, patched to 9.1, with no other addons. Actually, I keep this in .rar format in case I want to add more installs later.
2) I make a copy of this installation, to whichever drive I need it on, and rename the FS9.exe file to whatever is needed - e.g. FS1960.
3) I make a shortcut to this new FS1960.exe file.
4) I take a copy of the FS9.cfg file from the Local Settings/yadayada.... , rename it FS1960.cfg and replace it in Local Settings/yadayada....

I currently have a Golden Wings install, one for the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980-90s and a modern installation. Each installation can then be tailored as required, addons installed etc.; so, for example, the 'modern' installation has every scenery addon I can find thrown at it, whereas the 1960's version has addon scenery/mesh for the Vietnam area and for UK/Europe, the 1950's uses the 'classic' sceneries from Cal-Classic and RAF airfields .... Well, you get the idea! It means you can have properly tailored AI per period and don't clutter up your install with lists of aircraft that won't be used overmuch.

It's been interesting to see that there are some addons, mainly aircraft, that I have been able to use in every install, bar the Golden Wings version; DG's Hunters are the obvious example.

Andy

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Thanks for your advice, Andy.

I'm getting there slowly.
I've saved your comments to a Word document, as I'm sure they'll come in useful in the future.

Regards

Kevin