New Graphic Card Also!!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: New Graphic Card Also!!

Post by DaveB »

Hi Nige :hello:

Thanks for that ;) I've found this evening that if I click on my IE icon, the page opens at the remembered size at my default page which is blank. The anomaly occurs when I click on a shortcut icon from here. I've tried deleting the icon and resaving but thus far, it's not worked. However, when I click on something like Mailwasher pro.. the page opens at the 'saved' size. An odd one or sure. *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

G'say again Dave,
The appearance of the opening screen with all the icons depends on your display settings, found in Control Panel. Because you have a good graphics card, nvidia is assuming that you want high resolution. By reducing the pixels, you can make the icons bigger, but they'll be more blocky. MS gives a number of resolutions to pick from. MS lets you preview the appearance for a few seconds, then you accept or let it revert to previous. This setting does not affect your resolution in FS because you can set higher numbers there. Cheers, Mike

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike :)

Well.. that little project has come to an abrupt stop I'm afraid. I turned the pc on yesterday morning and.. it didn't start.. no post.. nada. The PSU has rapped it's hand in 8) I have some pwr coming off the 20-pin mobo connector but JS coming off any of the other connectors I was able to check with a voltmeter. It's a Corsair and comes with a 5 year warranty but as it's over 12months old (it's JUST 2 years old), the original supplier (Overclockers) say I have to contact the manufacturer which is where I am at present. I hope they don't expect me to send it back to the U.S. :S

PC's.. I love 'em :wall:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I fitted a 2GB GTX 560Ti and my existing PSU was on the edge. Yesterday I installed a 900W Antec, hopefully this will be ok.

What is it with the latest graphics cards :wall:
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ee-gads George.. I hope it wasn't the 560Ti that killed it. The current (no pun intended) PSU is a Corsair TX650W and all it has to drive are 2 x 512gb sata HD's, 1 x sata DVDR and the 1GB 560Ti.. that and the mobo of course plus 3 x case fans. We're not talking a massive load.. or are we? :dunno: I wish I'd have gone for the modular PSU because I have so many spare leads, the inside looks like a bad hair day!

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

DaveB wrote:Ee-gads George.. I hope it wasn't the 560Ti that killed it.
I'm pretty sure it was, however, even though the power consumption of the card is supposed to be only about 200W, I have 4 HDDs and a DVDRW and 8 USB connected devices, two of those are on a separately powered hub.

George
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Oh pants George.. that's all I'm going to say on the matter :lol:

I've just had a look on the nvidia site and it says max pwr from the card is 170w.. minimum system power 500w. 650w should give me enough clear water on the basis of that but I see what you mean. As for USB.. I have a wirless do-dar, the joystick and a mouse. The keyboard sits in it's own socket. Every now and again, I plug an external HD to USB but that is self-powered and shouldn't put a great deal of strain on the system.

Dunno what the hell to do now as even if I get a replacement from Corsair.. it may not be enough 8)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

650W should be ok. I think my problem was that the existing PSU was cheap crap.

George
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dave, my rig is running on a 650 with the old 8800 card which drinks the juice, so a fixed 650 should be fine :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that. I had visions of spending yet more money which over the last week has been hemorrhaging at a phenomenal rate ;)

Yes Ben.. I looked up pwr consumption for the 8800GTX and that drinks 220w at idle and 315w under load although wiki gives 155w.. yeh! :lol: I admit I don't like coincidences and fitting the 560ti one evening and finding the PSU dead two mornings later did raise the odd alarm bell. I think the PSU had already started to fail though why, I couldn't say. When I realised the DVDR was on it's last legs.. which it had been for some time and I never bothered to replace it.. the drawer didn't like opening and when it did, the reader didn't like to read!.. putting a known working unit in and finding it didn't even power, not off any of the 4-pin peripheral plugs.. I suspected something was amiss. I put the DVDR (the old one) back into the XP2400 and it works like a good 'un. The new(er) one was sata and ran off the same sort of socket as you find on sata devices so that part of the supply was still working but to what degree I don't know.

The test Corsair suggest which is at the crux of any return is to put a paper clip across two specific plugs on the 20-pin connector. If the fan works, it's ok. If it fails, you hit the 'failed pin test' button and it takes you to the RMA section. I'm still getting pwr of sorts off the 20-pin connector but JS off the PCIe plugs, the CPU plug or any of the 4-pin peripheral plugs so something definitely aint right. They've still not got back to me so I think I'm going to have to wing it through the paper clip test (I'll say I have) and take it from there.

Incidentally, I flashed FS9 up on the XP3200 last night (this pc with a brand new PSU) and I couldn't believe how slow it all ran. Did I really use this?? :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage