New Graphic Card Also!!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

New Graphic Card Also!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just had my new graphic card installed last week NVidia 560 GTX although not as fast as the Ti according to reviews and also the fact is that the 560 GTX is basically an upgrade of the 460 however....on trying FS9 with everything maxed out at Heathrow including 8/8ths cloud (REX) and 100% traffic I am now getting 40+ FPS and even more if I set the card on High Performance. What a difference this is making to FS9 especially when flying the Comet and other a/c in VC mode, the engine RPM indicators are much smoother when applying power for take-off. Altogether a much more satisfying experience!!

Just wonder how it will perform with FSX though? But then again, do I really want to go there or should I wait for Microsoft to release their new one whenever that will be!! *-)

(Late Edit) Just realised from Simons' post below he has the same card as me, should have posted this there, still fiddling around with settings to see which is best!!
Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: New Graphic Card Also!!

Post by simondix »

I maxed everything out on FSX. I still have trouble with the ORBX scenery around Seattle and Portland, get these rods sticking up in the sky. I can live with that by switching it off if I use FSX in that area. FS9 is brilliant. Let me know how you get on.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Simon, :hello:

Still trying different settings but when flying with everything maxed out and also having REX I tried very hard to see how far the card would manage by setting different layers of clouds on top of each other over London and still got 50 - 60 fps as I went through them with settings at High Quality, cross country flying I was at times getting over 100fps, not found the need to set it to High Performance yet. With my previous one it would not have managed 15fps!! I find the 560GTX an absolutely brilliant card considering that it is mid range and would highly recommend this for FS9.

Kind regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Think I'll be on the lookout for a 560GTX too.. my 8800GTX let go this morning leaving me stranded on the old XP2400 pc. Thank goodness I still have it!

EDIT.. which flavour of 560 should I go for.. there are so many :dunno:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave :hello:

Unfortunately I am not a PC Guru let alone a Graphic Card one but the 560 GTX, which I have is more than sufficient for my needs in FS9, however, there is the Ti which is much faster (overclocked I think) but problem with overclocked ones can surface or so I have been told.

The 560 GTX is around the £145 mark but make sure that your power supply in the computer is sufficiently powerful enough as I had to have a new one fitted to mine to run the 560 GTX (costing an extra £35). The box containing the card should give all the info i.e. minimum requirements.

As with my previous post I am well pleased with it.

Kind regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Nige :hello:

Tks for that. I had a quick look this morning and noticed a Ti version.. and the fact that it was a few quid more :lol: I know absolutely nothing about this card or any of the current rash from either Nvidia or ATI. I want to stick with Nvidia if I can and the price of the 560 is about as much as I want to pay.. more than I want to pay really but it'll do. Cutting edge is out I'm afraid so middle of the road will have to do. I'll have another look around before I make a final decision. I hope it comes with XP drivers cause I'm not going to Win7 just yet :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Just letting you know - I'm using the Nvidia 560GTX with W7, and it is very happy with FS9, also as mentioned in my request for comparisons under Xtreme FSX, FSX runs at 53 to 101 fps on default settings except fps made unlimited instead of 20.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Mike :thumbsup: It arrived today so all I have to do now is work up the enthusiasm to fit it :worried:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

It'll be obsolete by then Dave :lol:
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Dave.. you know me well :lol:

A quick note.. as the old card died.. should I start in Safe Mode when the new card is in to remove the old drivers before trying to install the new ones? I'm on XP SP3 btw.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage