PC start up problem

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jason32
Trident
Trident

Re: PC start up problem

Post by Jason32 »

Hi Ben, If I plug the PSU cable directly into the motherboard, the pc on/off led button has no power due to this 3 wire cable (as per photos) isn't attached. I popped to Maplins and got a 24 pin cable extention but as there's non of this 3 wire plug going off to the on/off button, so how do I start the pc?

As you can see I am no expert in this field so any help is hugely appreciated. :thumbsup:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Sorry Jason, my fault, you mentioned that earlier and i forgot all about it. This sounds very similar to my case. Two things. If you follow the wires form the extension to the on off switch, are they hard wired or is there a little connector further towards the switch? There will be another power switch connection on the motherboard that can be used, its just a case of making the cables from the on / off switch stretch to it. Give me a few minutes and ill try and find a link...
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi mate,

Right, that is definitely the same case as mine (or very similar). That little 3 pin plug only serves to provide power to the electronics for the touch sensitive power button LED's etc, it doesn't actually switch it on and off. The trouble is because its touch sensitive it needs to have that power feed to work, so a bit of a catch 22. The manual for you motherboard is here ( I think, this assumes is the P6T deluxe V2 - its the only P6T v2 I could find)...
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA ... Deluxe.pdf

Anyway, the good news for the purposes of testing, if it is the correct board, it should have a little on / off button on the board too. If you look at section 2.2.1 in the above link you'll see a motherboard layout. In the bottom right hand side is two square labelled "11" One of these is a power on button and the other is a reset, so you should be able to power the board on by pressing that button (use something non metallic)

Let us know if this works ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

mayagrafix
Comet
Comet

Post by mayagrafix »

From ur picture I can see that you have a modular PSU*. Generally speaking, modular PSU are high end hardware, so you should seek help from the manufacturer for replacement/repair of the unit. My advice to you is to R/R the PSU, as the problem will likely repeat itself in any case with a new Molex connector. PSU over time and use can loose performance and stop supplying a stable flow of current ( 3.3v, 5v and 12v) due to failure of electrical componets (capacitors, resistors, circuits)probably due to overheating, which over time cause failures. GET A NEW PSU!!! or at the very least, take the old one and have it tested by a reputable electrician.

*Modular power supplies
A modular power supply provides a detachable cable system, offering the ability to remove unused connections at the expense of a small amount of extra electrical resistance introduced by the additional connector. This reduces clutter, removes the risk of dangling cables interfering with other components, and can improve case airflow.