Post by Vancouver »

Old habits die hard. :welldone:
Alex

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Re: McAfee or Kyspersky?

Post by Motormouse »

I used to use F-Secure ; until they started putting price out of reach of budget £60:00 for 1 year :S :rant: :rant: :-O
However they do have a free online scanner available https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_gl ... port-tools
which I've used to clear out things others couldn't.

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Old habits die hard. :welldone:
:$

Hi Pete, it is becoming somewhat a minefield with all the security software available including free-ware. One person is likely to say that such and such is good whilst somebody else comes along and says this software is better. At the end of the day it all comes down to choice (after reading reviews).

Presently I have:

Kaspersky TDSSKiller to detect known rootkits and is a free utility but they do warn that this is not a substitute for anti-virus or Internet security software protection.

Malwarebytes

Presently running Avast antivirus (freeware) but with Kaspersky offer or rather Argos offer of £19.99 for anti-virus and firewall for three computers I thought that it was too good an offer to miss.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

McAfee does not get good reviews.

I've been using Kaspersky for 2 years and just bought it for another year. Paid £17-99 for 10 devices and have a DVD no just a download.

Currently £15 at Amazon for 3 devices: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... g=ho01f-21

If you have not heard of it http://www.hotukdeals.com/ is a source of info - just do a search but some may be no longer valid.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ian, Bought Kaspersky total protection as used it before I left the internet and found it extremely good, things change over the years and needed to know what others here thought about either of them as well as researching into other packages and it appears that Kaspersky is highly rated.

Babs took the plunge and bought herself a laptop as she would like to do an Open University Course sometime in the near future so got a good deal on a ASUS i7 Laptop (I'm wondering whether she will notice if I put FSX on it) :hide: :lol: :lol:

The laptop came with McAfee 30 day trial so I un-installed that and put Kaspersky in. When I visited their Forum they are working on an anti-ransom-ware product and it is presently in the Beta stages. I think you can actually download and try it but when that is completed it appears that they will offer a freeware version of it as well as pay-ware. As I don't open e-mails that I do not recognise or visit dodgy sites I will hold off until they release a fully tested and working version.

Regards
Nigel.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Avast free version

Works perfectly for me and has for years.

Regards
Rick

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Rick, got Kaspersky for £19 and presently very happy with it but when the renewal comes later on this year may very well consider Avast.

Regards
Nigel.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Norton Norton Norton Norton Norton is best

Anyway, many anti virus softwares are great BUT totally USELESS against NEW viruses. Anti-virus softwares can protect your computers but cannot protect your computers against any NEW viruses being invented daily. For example, on March 1, you updated anti virus files to protect your computer but your pc will be defenseless against a new virus being invented and spread throughout on March 2 or 3.

Regards,

Aharon

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Vancouver wrote:It is a minefield making a decision on this subject, what is best one month may and probably will the following month be superceded by another product. Then of course there is the blatant bias displayed by some reviewers.
My solution - Microsoft's own (and its free) - now called Defender and used to be Security Essentials. In combination with Malwarebytes (not free after the demo period of 1 month) and Bitdefender anti-ransomeware (Free)
I have NEVER had a virus that has not been caught (touching wood & fingers crossed) in many years of t'internet use. In factm in the opast I have had MS's own catch and delete viruses which other allegedly more sophisticated offerings have failed to notice.
Yes Alex...I'm using Windows Defender now and am very satisfied...I'm on Windows10 and I believe the version of Defender for W10 is much improved over the previous versions.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Yes I have to admit I go back and forward. As of now I am back with Windows Defender combined with IOBit Malware Fighter and Bit Defender anti Ransomware. I recently had a dalliance with my ISP freely provided AV which is McAfee and found it gave false +ve all the time in that I spent too long suspending it and correcting it. Not many reviewers give MS Defender much praise but I have to wonder if their is the anti MS bias at work here or if there are shenanigans going on between the companies and the reviewers. :shhh:
Alex