The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Totally Clueless About Fancy GTX 1060

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

While my MSI GE62VR 6RF Apache Pro with 16 GB ram, 6 GB NVIDIA GTX 1060, 1 TB 7,200 rpm, and 226 GB SDD drive is doing well for my FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 set in Windows 10 Professional operating system, I am trying to figure out to solve the problem of little fuzzy on ground texture when flying at FL350. Ground is always sharp when I see ground under my plane but little fuzzy when looking off left or right wing. My five year old laptop with 12 GB ram, 2 GB NVIDIA Geoforce 560 with CUDA, and 750 GB 7,200 rpm could show crisp ground texture from FL350 when under plane or looking right and left of the plane.

Since MSI GE62VR 6RF Apache Pro laptop is loaded with fancy glitz functions that I cannot make heads or tails to create right setting for FSX, I look at NVIDIA control center and notice that it is set to global setting with NVIDIA GRU. Should I switch setting to High Performance NVIDIA setting or leave it alone? I am afraid to mess it up.

I also notice that the NVIDIA control center's Anisotropic setting is set to 8X for FSX. I changed from 8X to 16X. Is this correct thing for me to do to make the ground texture crisp sharp when flying at FL350? Or is it big mistake and I should change back to 8X?

Thanks for any help that any of you might offer.

Regards,

Aharon

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Totally Clueless About Fancy GTX 1060

Post by Airspeed »

Shalom Aharon,
Your specifications are way ahead of mine.
However,
1. My option on this for FSX (selected from list of available programmes) is set to Application controlled.
2. I would say that changing settings isn't going to wreck your installation.
If you select something in the NVIDIA options, and it comes back with some scary comment like: "Are you sure that you want to reset display for everything on your computer? This is only for advanced users!" Then I would back off.
I would suggest that if you are just altering settings for listed programmes, and only FSX is listed, then FSX might look worse. If that happens, go back and put it to another setting until you're happy. Full screen vs windowed mode might also look different. Sorry I have no expert advice. :(

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Airspeed wrote: My option on this for FSX (selected from list of available programmes) is set to Application controlled.
I would agree but am afraid to screw up my laptop's performance.
Airspeed wrote:If you select something in the NVIDIA options, and it comes back with some scary comment like: "Are you sure that you want to reset display for everything on your computer? This is only for advanced users!" Then I would back off.
You are absolutely correct!!!

The problem is that when a person buys such sophisticated pc or laptop with fancy glitz functions and powerful video card, he or she would not know what are correct or best default settings for FSX use.

It is like a person driving normal cars for years and then for first time, a person buys hot rod fancy car with more gauges and more functions, would the person know how to properly utilize gauges and fancy functions even though he or she drives cars for years? Probably not.

Same thing for me when I bought a hot rod laptop with fancy glitz functions and powerful components, I still do not know what are best default settings in laptop for FSX use!!! My laptop offers 20 choices for color screen settings and there are tons tons of fancy settings in the laptop I need to set to maximize beauty of FSX flying ! Shessh

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The problem is that when a person buys such sophisticated pc or laptop with fancy glitz functions and powerful video card, he or she would not know what are correct or best default settings for FSX use.
I have a GTX560Ti Aharon which is neither powerful nor sophisticated (in this day and age) but the same problems apply and the same options are available in the Nvidia software. The major difference is that you should be able to apply higher settings!! 8)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

DaveB wrote:The major difference is that you should be able to apply higher settings!! 8)
Yes but the problem is that MSI has interwoven the powerful laptops' settings with Nvidia settings to make them tight connected hence me afraid to screw ot up.

Regards,

Aharon

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Well, you already tried 8x and 16x, and it didn't explode. Now try Application control. :cpu:

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Airspeed wrote:Well, you already tried 8x and 16x, and it didn't explode. Now try Application control. :cpu:
I have not tested 16X yet :)

Regards,

Aharon

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

FWTD,

Well I am still not getting crisp sharp ground textures when looking at left or right side, not under the plane.

For FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2, what are the best FSX settings and NiVdia settings to achieve crisp sharp ground textures when flying at FL350 or 10,000 ft or 5,000 ft please? I am trying to figure out why my new powerful laptop with 16 GB ram with fastest memory chips, 6 GB dedicated GTX1060 video ram, Latest 6th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 processor, and 1 TB 7,200 rpm hard drive is not doing what you can see in my screenshot that was taken by my 6 year old laptop with 12 GB ram, 2 GB dedicated GT 580 Cuda NiVidia video ram, and 750 GB 7,200 rpm hard drive. I cannot access to my old laptop's files to look at settings as it is dead.

Here is screenshot example out of old laptop:

I know my new laptop is one zillion times more powerful than my 6 year old laptop so I must have been using wrong settings in FSX.

Regards,

Aharon

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

If you have a new powerful laptop with a GTX 1060 you should be running P3D not FSX
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Remember FSX was designed for computers of 10 years ago, it certainly won't take advantage of that nice new video card you have. P3D however does have the logic in it to push much of the computing into the GPU making it much faster.

If I were you I would go invest in the P3d Academic license at only 59.95 USD.

So far I have been using the developer's license at 9.95 USD per month for professional, which is a great way to try it out if your interested. But recently I have begun to question that decision, At some point they will release version 4 and then if I want to continue using V3 I will have to keep paying the 10$ a month to use those add on's that are not compatible with the new version.

The other advantage if academic is that some producers that produce P3d compatible products is that they price the it differently if you are using professional compared to academic, which the only difference is that if you're using professional you have proven there are situations where you will spend more on a product.

Only down side to academic is there is a small watermark that says 'Academic' on it, if you want to see what it looks like look at any of the screen shots peter has taken on his RTW series.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.