Broadband Hub Question.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Broadband Hub Question.

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Vancouver wrote:I'll admit to being a bit of a nerd on the PC, can build them, program, all sorts of tinkering. The Android tablet annoys though as it is so slow and even worse following its automatic upgrade of OS. I rarely use the thing. Grandkids play on it.
Cellphones? Haven't a clue which amazes people given my nerddom on PC. The day I retired was the day my Nokia went in the trash. Never felt so free. Wanna call me - call the house. That phone costs $15 a month unlike my daughter who pays $200 plus a month. Since when was it considered natural to feed the Telecom companies. *-)
Alex, I think we must be kindred spirits. I too am more than happy building, overclocking and tinkering with a PC. Cellphones, or mobiles as they're called in the UK, I have no interest at all. I do have one, which is not 'smart' by any stretch of the imagination. It cost me about £30 around 10 years ago and it is true 'pay as you go'. No monthly fee. When the credit gets low, I simply add another £10 worth. it may be months between toping up (it can even go months, between me charging it!).
I remember aged around 10, we went on holiday to Scotland. After a short drive from the campsite, we found ourselves in an idyllic location, literally in the middle of nowhere. I can remember my Mother saying 'no-one knows where we are and no-one can contact us' - I felt so free. Who would want a mobile phone interrupting such tranquillity?
I have a PC from which I can access the web/email. I have a landline with an answerphone. I have a Sony MP3 player and I have a Garmin satnav. Why on Earth would I want to pay several hundred pounds per year for a smart phone?

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Who would want a mobile phone interrupting such tranquillity?
It doesn't just stop there either, I find it bl**dy annoying when sat having a peaceful cup of coffee in a cafe or a meal out and having a quiet conversation with the missus then someone pipes up on their mobile phone and drowns out your conversation with nothing short of meaningless ramblings not at medium level but ensuring that everyone is forced to listen to what they are saying :rant:

We have no smoking in public places and that should include mobile phone use!!

Whatever would they do if they had to go without a mobile for a week?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Nigel H-J wrote:Whatever would they do if they had to go without a mobile for a week?
I manage quite well, in fact I've never owned a cellphone (smart or otherwise) at all. My wife and daughters have them and as far as the girls are concerned it's a life support system and they go into a panic if they mislay their phones! :dunno:

My wife recently got a free upgrade for her phone (due to the time on her plan and the original phone was paid off, plus the battery life is now greatly reduced too) and rather than just letting it sit in a drawer I decided to use it as a remote control for my DSLR camera via an app. It's no use as a phone as it doesn't have a sim card installed but it can still be used for other things and can still connect to the net via wifi. Having said all that I think I have turned it on twice since since I took it over in December last year and one of those times was to install the app and test it! 8)
Larry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

No mobile/cell phone for me either! I just think there are times when I want to be away from phone call interruptions. What really anoys me are the idiots driving along and yapping on a cell phone but driving worse than a drunk driver.

Nigel²
Last edited by nigelb on 07 Apr 2017, 00:14, edited 2 times in total.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Let's have comparisons

B.C.’s mobile device law
According to section 214.2 of the Motor Vehicle
Act, a driver cannot operate a hand-held
electronic device (including hand-held
cellphones, smartphones, tablets and other
electronic hand-held devices such as music
players, GPS Navigation Systems, etc.). Also, a
driver cannot communicate using text messages
or email on any type of electronic device.
Drivers in the Graduated Licensing Program
(GLP) are restricted from using hands-free
cellphones while driving. Drivers with a regular
licence are permitted to use hands-free
cellphones and devices that can be operated
with one touch or voice command, provided
that the device is securely fixed to the vehicle or
worn securely on the driver’s body.
Any driver caught texting, emailing, holding a
cellphone or other hand-held electronic device
while driving will be fined $368 and receive four
driver penalty points (total $543 minimum).

GLP drivers who receive one ticket will have
their license reviewed by the Superintendent
and may face driving prohibitions.
Fully licensed drivers who receive two tickets
in a year will have their license reviewed by
the Superintendent and face possible three
to six months prohibition.
In addition to the
suspension, two tickets in one year will cost
you $1,256 (two fines at $368 each, plus eight
penalty points at $520)
and if you have points
from other tickets (e.g. speeding), it will cost
you even more.

Wish they would treat drink/drive so seriously. Here the police will suspend you 3 days and a fine plus tow away fees and upped insurance the next year. It's a cash cow thing from what I can see. Aside from the dangers of police being Judge Jury and Executioner it all seems pretty weak-assed. Whereas my memory of London UK was 18 month ban and a hefty fine. Essex near Xmas was a jail term.
Alex