Broadband Hub Question.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Broadband Hub Question.

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have recently had problems with my Sky Hub in that it kept dropping out and losing connection so got onto Sky and they have advised me to keep it on for ten days to stabilize it.

I used to switch it off at night and only switch on when needed, probably for 4 - 5 hours at a time then switched it off until the next day.

What do you chaps do? Keep it on all the time or just have it on when you need to access the internet? Which is best as I think by turning on and off on a daily measure may have contributed to the Hub becoming unstable as since leaving it on it has not disconnected.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Broadband Hub Question.

Post by DaveG »

They should be kept on usually. What happens is if you keep switching it on and off then it thinks there's a fauty line and reduces the connection speed to try and improve reliability.
Dave G.

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

I concur with DG...we are on BT Unlimited and we were advised by BT we should not turn it off but leave it on 24-7 and so far no problems at all.

(......but now that I have just said that!!! ;) )

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thrice concur ;)

My uncle Barry turns his off every night despite me telling him to leave the bloody thing on. His BB speed (with Sky) is about 1.5mb 8) Unfortunately, he's of an age where it wasn't the done thing to 'leave things switched on' so regardless of what he's told.. he'll continue to turn it off :wall:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

DG is correct.The stability and performance of the line is automatically monitored over time and the speed will adjust accordingly. I only switch mine off if I absolutely have to. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

My uncle Barry turns his off every night despite me telling him to leave the bloody thing on. His BB speed (with Sky) is about 1.5mb 8) Unfortunately, he's of an age where it wasn't the done thing to 'leave things switched on' so regardless of what he's told.. he'll continue to turn it off :wall:
Just what we do!! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, very many thanks for your replies and am going to keep it on apart from say if we go away for more than 2 days.

Again, many thanks for your guidance.

Regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Be ready to get on the phone when you get back then :lol:

They're designed to be left on until they die mate. Mine has been on for 4years ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

OK Dave, will keep it on. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Over here in Canuckleland the cable internet routers don't even have an on/off switch fitted! We get our phone service via the same box and by law they must have power 24/7 so that you have phones in an emergency. Unfortunately we live in an area that can have frequent power outages due to weather (snow/ice in the winter or high winds during summer thunderstorms/tornadoes etc.) and if you lose power then you also lose the phones too. The wall outlets over here don't have on/off switches either as they all run 110V and they are not deemed necessary.
Larry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Tako_Kichi wrote:Over here in Canuckleland the cable internet routers don't even have an on/off switch fitted! We get our phone service via the same box and by law they must have power 24/7 so that you have phones in an emergency. Unfortunately we live in an area that can have frequent power outages due to weather (snow/ice in the winter or high winds during summer thunderstorms/tornadoes etc.) and if you lose power then you also lose the phones too. The wall outlets over here don't have on/off switches either as they all run 110V and they are not deemed necessary.
All true. Glad we don't switch off here, my ISP (SHAW) if I turn the thing off for some reason can sometimes take upwards of 10 mins to reconnect. :cpu: Haven't had to switch it on/off in months though.
Alex