Broadband Hub Question.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Broadband Hub Question.

Post by DaveB »

Nige..

Having looked at my uncle's setup a few times.. there's a broadband section at Sky which when visited, will check your broadband speed. Needless to say.. on my uncle's, it reports 'Your broadband is slow' :lol: It will attempt to do something about it by asking you various questions and results in a message telling you to leave it switched on for a week.. 14 days.. something like that. At the end of this period, your broadband speed 'should' be increased. If not.. I guess you get in touch with them. I never found if it worked as my uncle 'switched it off again' :wall:

Point is.. the self checking is a constant cycle so if you leave it on for a year then switch it off for 2 days.. it will think there's something wrong and crank the speed down to try and get a stable connection. You 'should' be able to get your previous earth-shattering speed back.. eventually.. but expect it to be slow initially after being switched off for any reasonable length of time.. like 2 days :lol: Every now and again.. a router may need to be reset which generally means turning it off for 5 or 10 mins (at most unless advised by your ISP). I doubt you'll lose anything during a reset ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, :hello: Many thanks for your explanation, have now resolved to keeping it on even if we go away for a few days. Old habits die hard I'm afraid as we always switch off none essential electrics at night. in this case I am making an exception. :lol: :lol:

Again, many thanks.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I know and understand mate. I see this every time I go to my Aunt and Uncles :lol: Thank god they're not as bad as my mom and dad. I bought my dad a DVD player years ago and showed him how to use it. No problem. He was happy as a pig in poo. Some months later on my next trip to the Midlands, he asked me to 'run it by' him again 8) :wall: He then sat there for 20mins chopping between the DVD, TV and Video player.. annoying the crap out of everyone :lol: He was a bit tight though. He'd take the batteries out of a torch and put em in a drawer.. just in case :lol:

The aim was to point out that help from Sky IS available.. reasonably automated too but do you really want to put yourself through that...

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

He was a bit tight though. He'd take the batteries out of a torch and put em in a drawer.. just in case :lol:
I had to laugh as we do the same during the summer except when travelling early in the morning or late at night. :hide:

We also have a box that records films etc. but don't ask me how that works, only the wife can do it!! :hide: :help:

Think it boils down to the fact that I cannot sit down and :rtfm: All I want is a quick guide: press this and that then stand well back!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Slightly off topic, but regarding instruction manuals. My wife bought a new mobile phone, a simple version, it needs to be! There was a quick start leaflet enclosed, but there was a downloadable full version available. I looked it up, and sure enough there was. All 104 pages of it. I kid you not.

:rant:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yikes.. were they all English? :-O

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Just what is it with our nearest & dearest ?. Madame here operates the T.V. recorder box which leaves me baffled.But she also uses a very simple Doro mobile phone.
But I bought her a 'simple' computer which she resolutely refuses to use. Ah ! wimmin ! 8)
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes.. they're an odd lot aren't they :lol: My better half will whizz around on her laptop but if I try and hand her my tablet.. you'd think it was electrified. They're both Win10 too :lol: She's the same with her phone (Samsung). She does stuff on that and I have no idea what the hell she's doing yet when Whatsapp needs updating (we didn't get it from the Google store 8) ) she hands it to me :dunno:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I'll admit to being a bit of a nerd on the PC, can build them, program, all sorts of tinkering. The Android tablet annoys though as it is so slow and even worse following its automatic upgrade of OS. I rarely use the thing. Grandkids play on it.
Cellphones? Haven't a clue which amazes people given my nerddom on PC. The day I retired was the day my Nokia went in the trash. Never felt so free. Wanna call me - call the house. That phone costs $15 a month unlike my daughter who pays $200 plus a month. Since when was it considered natural to feed the Telecom companies. *-)
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Crikey Alex.. $200 a month :-O That's just over £160 in real money and I'm sure there are many here who will pay similar 8)

For me, Google is a PITA and for that reason, I'd not buy an Android phone unless it was absolutely necessary. I know that many will poo-who Windows but given the options on smartphones are either Android/Google or Nokia/Windows.. my option was easy. I browse the web (here) occasionally when I'm at work but trying to read anything on a 4.5" screen isn't a barrel of laughs. I text the wife and call her when the need arises but basically, it's for emergency use. We're on a joint sim-free tariff of £16pm (for both phones not each) and that's as much as I'd like to pay.. more really :lol: If I know I'm going to have a particularly 'slow' shift.. I may take the tablet with me and use the phone for internet sharing. At least I can vaguely see what I'm doing on the table (11.2") :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage