The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Question For Orbx User Or Orbx Expert

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Orbx is having 47 percent off sale even though I do not know which ORBX products.

So since I am totally new and totally clueless about Orbx stuff, what scenery or package do I need in order to be able to utilize and enjoy PAJN and PAKT sceneries, please? I always dream about getting awesome PAJN and PAKT sceneries.

Will Orbx sceneries screw up FSX and computer systems?? I do not want to screw up my new laptop

Regards,

Aharon

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Question For Orbx User Or Orbx Expert

Post by blanston12 »

Orbx will definitely not screw up your system although orbx does not always play nicely with other scenery files.
If you want PAJN and PAKT you should also get the alaska regional packs that each is in, they are in different so PANJ is in Southern Alaska and PAKT is in Pacific Fjords.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Expect longer load up times. Wonderful as ORBX is, you will find ample time to put the coffee pot on while awaiting the sim to startup. :lol:
Alex

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

Seconded, both of the above.

Its does look really good though, which is why I fly mostly (in my days off frome here) old, slow and low. Something I never did before with default FSX, it was always fast and way up. Circumnavigated the globe North-South in a Falcon 50 like that, didn't actually see much of the planet, only clouds. I might do it again with something older, maybe a DH86, now I have a planet worth exploring (I have Vector, OpenLC Europe, Scotland, England and Wales).

I will certainly buy an OpenLC for Africa / Asia if they ever get around to releasing such a thing. I don't have the Americas LC, but I don't go there so not much point.

It does have the occasional bug though, usually works fine but when you come across a bug, its usually instant CTD. Your mileage may vary of course. Putting the line MissingLibraryAlert=1 in your fsx.cfg under scenery after a ctd will identify whats broken though. Unloading the offending .bgl using the scenery configurator in fsx, and then reloading it to let the fsx scenery database rebuild usually will repair things enough to stop it happening again. Remember to delete the MissingLibrary line from fsx.cfg when you are done. Finally, its all of ORBX or nothing, there is no uninstaller. There has been a lot of forum squeaking about that over the piece, but it is made quite clear before you press that upgrade fsx button, that fsx gets changed fundamentally and there is no way back other than an fsx reinstall.

Just mentioning this geeky stuff to give you the full picture, it does involve a bit of effort on your part sometimes, but for me I wouldn't be without ORBX, it really is that much of a game changer. Put another way ORBX is sort of like that really lovely person you know, who occasionally does something that really pisses you off

Hope this helps
Jim
(sorry for wall of text)

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

blanston12 wrote:Orbx will definitely not screw up your system .
It definitely screwed up mine.

Took a month to recover.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

FTX England screwed mine up too :rant:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Blimey i have seen it all

Elvis is alive :lol: :lol:

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thanks all for kind replies.
Vancouver wrote:Expect longer load up times. Wonderful as ORBX is, you will find ample time to put the coffee pot on while awaiting the sim to startup.
I do not drink coffee. I drink tea. I thought British drinks tea, not coffee. Thanks for warning about painful slow start up and load up times
GHD wrote:It definitely screwed up mine.Took a month to recover.
This statement scares me. If we have a very professional airport designer and developer for very professional flight sim software company telling me that Orbx products screw up his computer and it takes him one month to repair, I certainly DO NOT want to buy Orbx sceneries!!

Sigh sigh there goes my dream of PAJN and PAKT sceneries!!

Thanks for warning, GHD. I will avoid Orbx sceneries.

Regards,

Aharon

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

If you'r scared, make a copy of your fsx/p3d folder before you install it. Then you can always revert back quickly if things go wrong.

Hopefully you still have the disk space to do that.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Fear not Aharon. Mine is so slooooow probably because I have FTX Global, Global Vector, NA & Eu Land Class Areas and several regions installed. Vector is not essential in my view as it gives correct shorelines but FS does a pretty good job anyway.
With careful used of a freeware program called SceneryConfigEditor-installer-1.1.7.zip it is possible to edit out areas not in use. That cuts down elongated load up times. Go for I think more people find FTX ORBX OK that not, otherwise I do not think they would be in business.
Alex