New Joystick

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

New Joystick

Post by Vancouver »

Well the time came 2 weeks ago my Saitek X-52 began playing up with spiky behaviour and generally worn out. Not back as I bought it in 2005.

So I did some research and ruled out the modern Saitek as they have gone bust and QC under MadCatz was questionable. Not willing to pay out for a Warthog (strewth they are exxy). I read a review of a Russian Company called VKB and their Gladiator stick. Well this thing looks a bit Warthog-ish and is built like a T38 tank. Oodles of programmable buttons and quite a small footprint. TYwist grip and feels nice in the hand. Below are the company websites where they claim they are sold out but I bought mine through the FSPILOTSHOP.
Oh and the price - a very reasonable CDN $120.
The only thing I don't like is the Throttle placement - but that can be programmed to do something else and I have Saitek Throttle Quads. Some like it though.

https://flightsimcontrols.com/store/joy ... -joystick/ - Europa
https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-gladiator - North Amerika
Alex

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: New Joystick

Post by blanston12 »

Saitek is now owned by Logitech so at least there production is back on line, and the quality of the logitech products I have has been fine.
I did get a Saitek X-56 recently and don't like it, too many tiny joystick controls on it I could not find a use for. If you get the gladiator I would be interested in hearing your results.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

...and for those of you simming on a budget, you can hardly go wrong with my choice of controllers. :hide:
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired- ... B004QRKWLA
Ok, it's a bit limited when it comes to features, but I have used these for a number of years and have always been very happy with my purchase.
Just bought a new one yesterday at Walmart for $19.95. :thumbsup:

Brian

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

blanston12 wrote:Saitek is now owned by Logitech so at least there production is back on line, and the quality of the logitech products I have has been fine.
I did get a Saitek X-56 recently and don't like it, too many tiny joystick controls on it I could not find a use for. If you get the gladiator I would be interested in hearing your results.
I wonder about the Logitech thing. They do not advertise or show availability of ex named Saitek product on their site which makes me suspicious that any stock to be found will be leftover MadCatz product. Anyway it is a moot point as I thought it was clear that I now have the VKB and am very pleased with it so far.
Alex

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

FlyTexas wrote:...and for those of you simming on a budget, you can hardly go wrong with my choice of controllers. :hide:
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired- ... B004QRKWLA
Ok, it's a bit limited when it comes to features, but I have used these for a number of years and have always been very happy with my purchase.
Just bought a new one yesterday at Walmart for $19.95. :thumbsup:

Brian
How on Earth can you fly an aircraft with that?
Alex

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

:lol: The left stick is ailerons and elevator. The right stick controls your view point. The triggers are your rudders. Y and A buttons are your throttle. Knuckle buttons work the landing gear and brakes. The plus-sign thingy works the flaps and stabilizer trim. Blah, blah, blah. I know it's kind of goofy but it works. :lol:

Brian

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

For about £50 you could always make your own.

The base is an old MS Sidewinder from ebay for £10.
My design is specifically for people that are diy and tool capability challenged. :lol:
You'll need a large funnel, some pvc overflow pipe and elbows. A drill. Some metal tube. A strip of bendable brass metal.
Nuts, bolts, washers. A length of cat5 cable or other suitable wire. A baseboard.

Surprisingly agile and responsive due to the long stick.