Large Update Windows 10

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Large Update Windows 10

Post by DaveB »

:-O

No.. not seen that. I have noticed that updates for Win7 are now conspicuous by their absence. Also.. I invariably have to update MSE manually. Win7 comes up and will say my virus definitions are out of date and if I click on update.. the green progress bar will get to 25% and stay there. I then leap off to Microsoft and download the latest virus definitions manually and all is well until the next time. MS obviously have Win7 in 'let go' mode :(

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

Dev One wrote:
14 May 2017, 19:40
Can one stop an official M$ update on W10?
Keith
Yes you can Keith. Yes why would you want to withold an update, true.

However, I would reply because it's my kit and I want control of it, not give up that control to some mega corporation that thinks it knows what's good for me. See EU versus M$ re M$ IExplorer (user rights to choice and fair competion). M$ didn't do too well on that one. And it doesn't seem to have learnt anything from it.

If you have Win10 home it involves editing the registry, to take ownership of your broadband ownership privileges (admin user then shares equal ownership along with the windows OS). This enables you to set your broadband connection to metered, which will prevent major OS rebuilds such as the Creators update. All the other updates such as security updates etc will still go through, so no worse off.

I really didn't want Creators. I dont use paint and wont change my mind about that anytime soon - the promised 3d features for it fell off and other things such as photo viewer got broken.

Explained simply in this article, I managed to do it OK https://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-your- ... indows-10/
cheers
Jim

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Incidentally.. I flashed up the guvnors laptop today and the first thing I noticed was that 'time to desktop' hasn't increased any. In fact, it's the exact opposite 8) I appreciate it's only an i3 but it's a comparatively clean i3. I rarely use it so it has none of the rubbish I download. SWMBO plays cards on it and looks on Facebook/Yammer every now and again. The question is.. what gems have MS given me to cause this slowdown? I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation.. BLOATWARE :wall:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

DaveB wrote:
18 May 2017, 20:39
SWMBO plays cards on it and looks on Facebook/Yammer every now and again.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
Women are so much less needy than us 8)
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I wouldn't go quite that far but as far as pc's go.. yes :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I just saw the message that the 'Update is Coming' today. Looks like its being rolled out in phases around the world.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'll leave my tablet switched off then :lol:

I'm a little confused by the 'Creators update' title. It seems like MS are lobbing stuff in just for the sake of it. Good news is though, if you don't like it.. there is an uninstall facility :cpu:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I found that with this Windows Creator update that various programs which would not work with the previous bog standard W10 64 now work. Ones which stand out for me are -
Outlook 2007 which is part of my Office 2007 suite. That would crash or jang all the time now works. BTW, I'm cheap, it is the Enterprise edition which I got free through my son who used to work for a MS subsidiary.

FSXA refused to install under W10. forcing me to FSXSE. When Creator came along, I removed FSXSE and FSXA installed easy peasy. I now use FSXSE as a testbed before installing anything in the main sim.

Otherwise there were a couple of small programs which now function better.
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

It's nice to know that some things that didn't work now do. Thanks for that Alex :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

New download in and now every time I boot up I get

"DTS is unavailable for the specified device"

Anyone else having this - never showed before the update. :dunno:

Googled it but didn't find owt I can understannd - mind it was Mess night last night.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.