Large Update Windows 10

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Large Update Windows 10

Post by hobby »

Last evening a notice appeared on my screen informing me that a large update for W10 would shortly be installed on my machine.

I have no way of verifying the source of that message. In the light of recent worldwide events could it be a spoof?

Has any other forum member received a similar message or can confirm that MS are shortly to issue such an update?

Henk Schuitemaker
Meteor
Meteor

Re: Large Update Windows 10

Post by Henk Schuitemaker »

I am on W10 1607, I did not see such a message. The only message I got a few weeks ago is visible only in the PC Settings - Update & Security panel: "Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?". This is a genuine message from MS, it notifies the user about the W10 Creators update roll out.

This would be my advice: If the message you got is not the one I described above than it might not be genuine and should be ignored. In cases like this you should Google for the message you got, I bet there is something on the web to explain what it is.

I also would recommend to follow the AskWoody.com blog, it is a very good knowledge base about Windows updates. Woody offers sound advice about which updates you should avoid and which ones are good enough to apply. Reading Woodys' comments about the W10 Creators Update made me decide to hold off till the update is ready for business use (aka "Current Branch for Business" status which will probably be reached in about 6 months).

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Hobby,
My wife's machine did such an update 2 or 3 days ago. This did not come by email, but by the normal notice on the screen.
No bad effects this end.
I've heard about heaps of trouble throughout the World with ransomeware in the last few days.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

NEVER NEVER NEVER believe in any fishy email. Microsoft does not have time to email to every individual to let him or her know it is time for update for Windows!!

If you feel need to update Windows 10, just go to official Microsoft website and do updating INSTEAD of believing such emails.

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hobby didn't say he received this notification via email.. it came up on his screen. I'd still be inclined to ignore it though. Our laptop has Win10 and the boss hasn't told me she's seen this notification. Mind you, it doesn't mean to say it hasn't appeared. She leaves things 'like that' to me :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

SWMBO's laptop came up with that "Windows 10 Creators update coming soon" message, but my desktop hasn't yet. :dunno:
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Aah.. there you go Hobby :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

I have just had a look at my 'Message' block which occasionally appears to the right of my screen.

The message was from MS and concerned "Windows 10 Creators Update due shortly."
The message also contained a request to me that I should review my settings (the word 'settings' wasn't used but I can't recall the word used in the message.

When I looked in the relevant place I saw that my current settings are:

ON - Location: For local weather and directions to favourite places.

OFF - Speech Recognition

BASIC - Diagnostics. Sends MS data to help fix errors on my computer. Evidently one can set Diagnostics to send greater levels of info to MS to assist
MS in fixing errors on one's computer. Long ago I became fed up with people ringing me up purporting to be from MS!! Might have been anyone!!

ON - Tailored experiences with diagnostic data (?????) What does that mean?

OFF - Relevant Ads. The number of adverts seen does not alter but may be less relevant to me.

The message ended with the words that went something like this: 'Warning of the imminent update will be given so that you will have time to back up your files.'

Surely backing up one's files should not be necessary if this an official MS update? I am definitely not computer literate and my computer serves the purpose of providing the means to enjoy simulated flight and to act as a communication device (Skype, Teamviewer, TeamSpeak and Email.)

Thanks Dave B: I did not receive the message that started this thread by email

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Can one stop an official M$ update on W10?
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. that's a good question Keith *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage