Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Henk Schuitemaker
Meteor
Meteor

Re: Large Update Windows 10

Post by Henk Schuitemaker »

Dev One wrote:
14 May 2017, 19:40
Can one stop an official M$ update on W10?
Keith
Depends on your license, with Pro you can use the Group Policy settings but with the Home edition you do not have much choice other than set your connection to metered which blocks all updates. There is also the Microsoft show/hide updates tool (KB3073930) which you can use to temporarily delay updates you do not want.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Worth noting, MS had an update that closed the attack vector for the recent Ransomware attack something like two months ago. So generally you're taking a bigger risk by not updating than updating.
I mean I'd still set a restore point and have important data stored in more than one place, and I don't mean another folder on the same hard drive.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Like Skippy says, let the updates happen, they're done for good reason. There are about 200,000 people this morning wishing they had updated in march. Instead they've lost access to their files due to a crypto ransomware. As a rule of thumb, end users don't know better than the software companies who write their Operating Systems. You can ignore any messages you get as on home edition, the updates will happen anyway. ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Why would you want to stop an update?
Most of them are supposedly for user protection.
I've just noted Skippy's post, which agrees with what was on the radio this morning, MS even patched some old unsupported OS like XP, so if you're up to date with patches, this attack should be repelled.
btw, I didn't say that the message was an email, simply that if it was, then I'd have doubts. As said by others above, MS messages come on screen.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The main reason you might want to stop it.. well, not stop it specifically but delay it is if you're on a tablet (or laptop) and short of battery life, space or time. My Win10 tablet seems to manage this quite well without intervention though. If I turn it off, it knocks the update on the head until I turn it back on when it will try again :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Not wanting to drag this OT but I've noticed this morning that I can't get in here on my WinXP rig. This one is fine (Win7) but the old XP rig gets the old 'can't connect' message. I've thought we've been down all morning until I switched this pc on.

Could it be our new https status doesn't like XP? *-)

EDIT: Hmm.. i'm in in Firefox *-)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

For information only this is a short account of how the big update process went with me.

The big update notification arrived on my machine at 10:49Hrs BST.
The offer to commence immediately or nominate an update time was made and I decided to press on.

The update process started at 10:51Hrs and finished at 11:10 Hrs.
During the nineteen minute process once received the usual message of "Don't turn your computer off" plus a notification that during the update process the computer would turn itself off and back on several times. All went according to the MS plan.

Finally one arrived back at one's normal screen and on regaining control of the screen notice of some updates to be applied appears. When that's all done a screen of information appears divided into three areas:
1) Faster, Safer W10 browser - see what's new
2) Focus on what's important - Go to mail
3) Create more new apps - Go to shop

Had a look at the first two items which made no sense to me because I am not a tech whizkid or even a tech OAP!!

Finally got rid of all that stuff (not deleted just let it pass me by) and got back to my normal desktop and list of favourites.

Not a speedy update this one and I shall just use my cleaning programs before defragging and then hopefully get a cct or two done before lunch.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for the update Hobby :thumbsup:

I'll take a look at SWMBO's laptop and get it sorted while she's away. At least I know it's done then :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well, I can guarantee that it IS a large update. It's taken over 2hrs to get it down the line and install on the bosses laptop. It gave me a chance to watch her flight from LGW to NAP :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

While on the subject of windows updates, since my upgrade to i7-7700K processor, my windows 7 updates no longer work?, I get a pop up saying "your processor is not compatible for windows 7, unable to install updates", or something like that,

Has anyone seen this before?.

Robbie.