Graphics card needed to run FSX Steam Ed acceptably

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Graphics card needed to run FSX Steam Ed acceptably

Post by TobyV »

Here's a screenshot with some frame rate numbers. Compared to my old laptop and given that I don't even have a 'card yet, I'm pretty happy. I'm going to install the add-on aircraft that I have and if the numbers are still this good and unless anyone has a good reason why shouldn't (e.g. frying my CPU), I might just stick as I am!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. I hoped you were going to say more than that! :lol: As an example.. the GTX760OC I'm running requires a 500w PSU. If you were going to get something as old as this.. it would only leave 50w of clear water to run everything else. A little too close for comfort. PSU's don't cost the earth these days and there's no immediate hurry but it's something to look out for ;) Some folk run 1000w PSU's. I'm glad I don't have their electric bill :lol:

The PSU I run in this rig is a Corsair TX650.. by no means high-end. Adequate would be a better description :lol: Had I had a few more GBP loafing at the time, I'd have gone for a slightly more powerful modular version but the TX was all I could afford. Modular are handy because they cut down clutter inside your case. The PSU comes as a box with output sockets and a selection of 'loose' leads allowing to 'plug in' what you need and not have to put up with the mass of wires a non-modular PSU gives you. There's no other advantage I can think of other than improving air circulation inside the case. Some would say the modular design is less reliable than the 'wired' versions.. a poor connection can cause a problem.. but I have a modular PSU in my WinXP rig and it's run just fine for years.

I digress :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

What I would say Dave, is the new generation Nvidia cards use much less power than their predecessors. My new card only has 1 6 pin connector! I think those 1050's only burn 80 something watts. *-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'm not likely to get one of those for another 8 years or so :lol:

Having only one pwr connector would certainly point to them taking less juice.. in line with CPU's and most other things these days. A quick check on the 1050's shows they recommend a paltry 300w PSU so for something like that, he'd be good to go ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Yeah I can't remember which card it was, the 1050Ti I think, but somewhere on the world wide interweb thingy, I read this card uses 75W.

Re the electricity bill, since the voltage is fixed, I imagine it comes down to current draw. Therefore if you don't plug enough devices to be using all those Watts, I don't think it provides them, therefore you shouldn't be paying for them. (Says the guy who came bottom of the class in electromechanical machines all those years ago at Southampton University :lol: )

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Just installed the JF Fokker 27 and 146. Took the F27 up from EGHI and I am getting 70fps, good quality fluid graphics, no jolts, no stutters, sound everything working perfectly. I am quite tempted not to change anything right now!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Therefore if you don't plug enough devices to be using all those Watts, I don't think it provides them, therefore you shouldn't be paying for them.
Yes.. my comment was ever-so tongue-in-cheek :lol: The important thing is that while they're still able to make these things faster (graphics cards) they're now in a position to make them more efficient with energy demand so your 550w PSU is more than adequate. Just don't go buying a second-hand 5, 6, or 7 series card now :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage