NVidia GTX 1060

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

NVidia GTX 1060

Post by ChrisHunt »

Thought I'd pass on some info re issues with the NVidia GTX 1060 and how to solve them (at least in my case). I recently bought the 1060 and after installation suffered a number of unexplained PC freezes and crashes (freezing forcing a hard reboot and not a crash to desktop) during P3D v3 and v4 and also Aerofly FS2. With FS2 I also experienced a significant number of graphical anomalies when flying in the new Innsbruck area. After trawling Google (as you do) it seems that there are a large number of reports of issues with the 1060, with a number matching my experiences. A few solutions pointed to the NVidia HD sound driver as the possible culprit. I uninstalled that driver but that alone didn't seem to do the trick so I did a complete and clean reinstall of the NVidia drivers making sure I didn't reinstall the sound driver.

So far so good. FS2 was both stable and missing all the weird graphical anomalies experienced previously and also performance was better than before. If anyone is thinking of the 10 series cards the 1070 doesn't appear to have the same problem albeit that it seemed to have a memory problem on first release (now solved by the look of it).

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: NVidia GTX 1060

Post by Vancouver »

Oh to be able to afford them :help:
Alex

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Quick update on this issue. Essentially I spoke to soon (as is often the case). Whilst there may well have been some improvements resulting from my previous tinkering I was still getting PC freezes, particularly in P3D v3 and v4. The solution was an update of the motherboard's BIOS to the latest available version. The motherboard is the Asus Z97-K. Before I went to press I did a 2 hour soak test last night and again first thing this morning. All is well with the world - no PC freezes. This is good news on several fronts - I bought the card from Amazon and they don't accept returns beyond 2 weeks so getting anything done about it would have been a nightmare and, if it came to it, motherboards are a hell of a lot cheaper than the graphics card.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

ChrisHunt wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 10:25
motherboards are a hell of a lot cheaper than the graphics card.
If you think about it, that is bizarre in a way. Damn I miss my Voodoo :rofl:
Alex

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

With you there Alex.... 3DFX was fantastic :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage