Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

NBN Downunder

Post by Airspeed »

Hi All,
We signed up for the National Broadband Network, alias optic fibre internet connection.
Though I understood this to be a federal government project, it's referred to as: "nbn ™" so why is it registered as a trade mark; will they privatise it next week? :dunno:
Never thought it would penetrate to our little town, but there you go.
It's only "fibre to the node," which means to some local terminal, then old copper wire from there to our street & house.
The last technician in our street told us that the line hereabouts is shot, so who knows whether we'll notice any difference.
It's actually cheaper than the old connection, so unless it's an awful service, we should be in front.
If I go silent after next week :excited: :-O you'll know it's not working.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: NBN Downunder

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hope it goes well for you Mike, fingers crossed.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

We have just been upgraded (well back in May) & are 2 Km from the fibre box on copper. Now getting 11 Mb as opposed to 1 Mb download. Upload gone from about half a Meg to about 0.8 Meg depending on routing through servers. It can still get clogged though at various times of day. Hope it works out OK for you.
Keith

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Airspeed wrote:
02 Jul 2017, 03:15
If I go silent after next week :excited: :-O you'll know it's not working.
Sorry you are breaking up, repeat please. :lol:
Alex

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I also hope it goes well, Mike. I have what they call 'fibre to the cabinet' which means there's cable to the box on the street, but from there it's the existing copper phone line. No complaints from me, though BT has had to give me a new hub twice now. Nevertheless, good service from them, all in all. Hope you get the same.

BTW when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was BNB Downunder, and that you were going to tell us about small hotels in Australia. I really need to stop getting old. :lol:

JohnD
Victor
Victor

Post by JohnD »

Should be OK. We are now fibre to the cabinet and existing copper to the house. We were 2mb download and 0.1mb upload. But since the upgrade we are now 38mb download and 9mb upload. So you should see some improvement.

Good luck

John
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.