PC Question

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

PC Question

Post by Tomliner »

Hi gents. Despite putting things off, I' m soon going to have to face up to replacing my really old pc.I've read about recommended specs for fs until I' m blue in the face. None of them can help me to decide what I should do. However,what may be the firsts of many questions :-
I understand that on a new Win 10 64 bit pc, I can still run FS9 with the 9.1 and no cd patches. Right or wrong?
Secondly, if I decided to bypass FSX and go straight to P3D V4 for example, when in use does the LM client maintain a constant ' dialogue ' with the server? I'm thinking about BB bandwidth usage as ATM I don't pay for unlimited usage.
Of course I could save a lot of money by staying with FS9 as I presume pretty well any modern and modest pc would run it like s**t off a shovel, so to speak. *-) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: PC Question

Post by TSR2 »

Hello mate. With regards the P3D4 question, I think the thing to start with is are the aircraft that you enjoy flying available for it. There's a Connie in there, but I've never flown it myself, so couldn't comment. Then there's the other bits and pieces. I love the VFR scenery as I find it much more realistic than the alternatives, and I love airfield spotting when I'm flying... particularly airfields that aren't modeled. I go away after my flight and look up what it was and find out a bit of the history about it, but that might just be me. I don't think the UK VFR stuff is available new any more, but the other guys would be able to fill you in on that. The Orbx stuff is a good "representation" if you're not too fussy about the detail and is much more friendly on the pocket (or so I believe.) FS9 is still a good sim, albeit limited by what could be done at the time, but if it meets your requirements, then whats not to like. FSX SE might be an option... a halfway house as it where. And models from FS9 will usually port over to FSX to some degree.

Hardware wise, 2 disks would be best, one for the OS and one for Flight Sim. If you can, and SSD is a good call. Depending on the graphics card you choose, the power supply might be important. The latest from NVidia are significantly less power hungry than previous generations, but with a price tag to match. A good DirectX 9 card is the important bit for anything other than P3D, which uses DirectX11. Moving FS9 from one PC to another would be pretty straight forward too. Something to bare in mind though is that some of the commercial addons might not like Windows 10. The PC world has moved on quite a bit since XP so some legacy installers may not work... BUT... I think if you did a fresh install of FS9 and then copied your full FS9 files and folders from the old machine to the new (over writing any files on the new machine) it should work quite nicely without having to "reinstall" the addons from scratch.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: PC Question

Post by Tomliner »

Thanks for the reply Ben. For some time now I've been backing up various files and Winzip folders both onto an external HD and occasionally DVDs. Re the commercial add ons that I have, I wouldn't neccesarily reinstall all of them anyway. Same goes for some of the freebies. The thing will be going for the best spec without going over the top. Future proofing perhaps becomes a little less of an issue the later in life one gets.
If you don't mind, maybe I could pm or email you if need be.
In the meantime I'll start looking to see what else I may need to backup. May thanks EricT :thumbsup:
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!