FSX Oddities

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: FSX Oddities

Post by DaveB »

To be honest.. the differences aren't blisteringly obvious (from what I've read) but Dovetail have dotted a few more I's and crossed a few more T's making it a better 'base' platform than the Gold edition. It's a popular version given that many have lost or damaged their original discs and sales on Steam often chuck FSX:SE out at just a few quid.. literally. As you already have a Steam account.. I'd make do with your current install until the next sale then seriously consider going down the SE route ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Dave, unfortunately even after a full re-install the problem has returned. :((

In one case the aircraft from external view does not show properly in that it is in see through mode then when I refresh scenery buildings trees and runway disappear leaving a long flat green effect and after another hit on refresh scenery all colours merge like a kaleidoscope with no scenery at all!!

I am stumped on this, I don't think it is the graphic card as I can play Dirt Rally and Cliffs of Dover with no problem. It just seems that FSX is giving up on itself. If I cannot find a solution then FSX is going to have to go permanently. I know there is P3D but all the scenery add-ons I have will only work with FSX let alone aircraft and cannot afford on my pension to fork out for new add-ons.

If you have any ideas then please let me know.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

This sounds very much like your FSX is running out of resources mate.. perhaps even a build up of dust in your case causing overheating. Both of these will give the effects you're describing. I'd hate to think your graphics card was on the way out but this is another possibility. There are others but these are the most likely causes I can think of as a basis for investigation.

If inside your case is nice and shiny.. try turning the sliders down in FSX to see if it will run for longer without going to mush.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, think I need to be awarded Plonker of the Year Award!! :hide:

I remembered that I posted a similar fault going back over a year ago so did a search, in a previous post I had, as I am going to now, inform you that it was just a simple problem overlooked........................HIGHMEMFIX=1

What a plonker I have been, I could have kept the bl**dy thing on my 2nd drive after all!!!! :doh: :wall:

Thanks for your advice though.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.