FSX Oddities

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

FSX Oddities

Post by Nigel H-J »

Every time I fire up FSX (which is on a separate drive) I find that in some cases it freezes, other times the menu screen at the top whilst in-flight is blank, and also when I press for atc it does not show, also when switching views I either lose the cockpit and have just the scenery or other times there is no scenery and have to keep pressing refresh until it comes back. Don't know whether there may be a confliction with IL2 which is on my C Drive or not as this sort of behaviour never happened before or could it be that my 2nd drive is beginning to fail?

Any help appreciated.

BTW, is it possible to just copy and paste FSX from D Drive to my C Drive? If so what other changes do I have to make so as it is recognized on a different drive?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: FSX Oddities

Post by DaveB »

With the problems you're describing.. it's difficult to know where to begin. I'd start off by letting the sim build a new FSX.cfg (rename the old one to .dis or .bak) and then see what happens. If the problems persist.. you could try doing a 'Repair'. If you're using FSX Gold.. this should be a straight forward evolution. If you're using FSX/SP1/ACC.. then ACC and SP1 have to come off before running repair. If that doesn't work.. a full uninstall and re-install is what you're looking at me thinks. You might look at FSX-SE as an alternative having removed FSX disc edition first.

Can't imagine IL2 having anything to do with FSX losing the plot.. unless there's something you're not telling us :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave and thanks for your reply, I did not really think that IL2 had anything to do with it but was a bit unsure.

Will try what you have suggested but as for re-install................. :wall:

Regards
Nigel.

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Nigel,
Are you in FSX or FSX Steam edition?

Paul

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

He hasn't said Paul but I'm pretty sure he's NOT 'SE'.

BTW Nige.. I'd not want to put FSX on my OS drive. Your OS drive has enough to do keeping itself alive let alone running a sim at the same time.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Morning Dave, :hello:

I only ask as I've gone to SE. I did have the same issues- it started about 50% of the time and was very very sluggish despite me having treat myself to a new PC.

I sorted it this last weekend and have a few ideas on the foibles of SE.

Paul

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ah.. in that case, we'll see what he says when he comes back :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul and Dave, :hello: sorry for not getting back earlier but took the bull by the horns and un-installed FSX from my 'D' Drive.

I am running FSX Deluxe Edition with Acceleration, bought donkey years ago when I decided to take the plunge. I take it that SE stands for Standard Edition?

Have now got to 90% complete install on my 'C' Drive with just a few more add-ons then it will be tomorrow before I defrag the whole of the drive with Auslogics Disk Defrag, going to be interesting to find out how quick it does the job compared to MS.

Took a few quick flights up already and it seems the anomaly has gone but time will only tell. Still only using FTX Central Version 2 as when I ran with the version 3 it took around five minutes for each flight to load and really got no helpful advice to rectify this from their forum :(( That is one reason why I no longer make any purchases from ORBX as you apparently cannot do so with FTX Central Version 2.

Just out of interest Paul, it would be great if you could give me a few ideas on how you sorted out your problems.....just in case!! :worried:

Regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nigel.. SE stands for 'Steam Edition' (you have to have a Steam account but they're free) ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, thanks for putting me right, I do have a Steam account now is there any difference between mine and a Steam version?

Regards
Nigel.