De-Fragging

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

De-Fragging

Post by Nigel H-J »

I am presently re-installing FSX and wonder whether it is best to defrag after FSX and Acceleration is installed or whether to wait until I have installed all add-ons and aircraft.

Also, when the defrag is running can you still use the computer i.e. to fly IL2 or FSX/Dirt Rally or even the internet. I know it may be a silly question but before I always used to just leave it to defrag before using again but it will no doubt take ages to do.

Running Win7 64bit.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: De-Fragging

Post by DaveG »

You can use the PC while defragging, but playing games may be a bit laggy, especially if they're on the drive being defragged.
If you're going to add all your addons straight away, you may as well get that done then defrag, otherwise I'd defrag first. Either way it's gonna take a while! :lol:
BTW, if it's a SSD, don't defrag!
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks Dave, on that note I will defrag the hard drive when all add-ons are installed, dont have the luxury of an SSD Drive but one day.......

may just put it on overnight as it is going to be a looooong job.

Regards
Nigel.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

What software are you running to defrag? The default one from MS is very slow and takes a dog's age to do anything, even on a small HD.

I have been using Auslogics Disk Defrag for many years and I love it. It's fast, does the job it's intended to do well and it's FREE! I wouldn't be without it and it's one of my 'must have' applications on any new computer build.

You can find it here.......... https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/
Larry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

You could also use Defraggler by Piriform. It can be set to switch the computer off when the defrag is completed, so you can start it off and then go to bed. Next morning, all done. :)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Wow, did not realize that there were 3rd party defraggers on the market especially free ones'.

just goes to show how much googling I do to make life easier!!! :lol:

Very many thanks Larry, will download that one and also thanks to you Paul, interesting to know you can get one that will switch off the computer after a defrag.

Regards
Nigel.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

There's an option in the Auslogics software to turn off after defragging too.

I've always partitioned my drives and I have multiple physical hard drives on my system so I tend to do all the virtual drives on one physical drive as a batch and let the software run while I am doing other things like surfing or reading emails. Only when I am doing the C: drive do I sit back and let the software do it's thing and as the C: drive is one of my smaller partitions it doesn't take very long to do.
Larry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

'nother one http://www.iobit.com/en/iobitsmartdefrag.php

Plus Iobit have a suite of freebies from driver updaters, cleaner outers, oh the list goes ever on....... :cpu:
Alex