Which freeware Antivirus is best?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Which freeware Antivirus is best?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul and very many thanks for the screen shot, will add exclusions later, ran Malwarebytes and it found 4 items which are 3 registry keys and 1 registry value.

Have them stored in the vault so will see if any abnormalities arise.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Paul K wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 17:17
Further to what Kevin says about exclusions in Malwarebytes, this is what I have, just to give you an idea:

Cheers Paul

I see that you have V3.1.2 Premium. I have V2.2.1 Home (free), although it still updates regularly.
I have read that V3 Free now contains 'nagware' to try to persuade people to upgrade to the paid version, so I'm a little reluctant to download V3.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 12:53
Hi chaps, I know this is like a jungle with so many free antiviruses on the market but I am now looking at getting rid of my Kaspersky Total Security.

Have only 90 days of the licence left to run but since upgrading to Win 10 I found that the Safe Money does not give full protection and some applications will run but with limitations. Went to their website and found this out:

https://support.kaspersky.com/12198

Regards
Nigel.
Reading in the latest issue of Computer Active (30 Aug), that Microsoft have 'backed down', following complaints from Kaspersky. This will hopefully fix any problems with not only Kaspersky's but also other AV providers products and Windows 10.

Kevin

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I have to say about Kaspersky, it is starting to pee me off some. I have the full version for 1 year courtesy of my new(ish) Asus MB. Currently I am reinstalling FSXSE after a catastrophic failure last week when Windows lost its header and hey, guess what ..... no windows image back up either. But I am finding now that Kaspersky is finding viruses in innocent places. Today I went to install FTX ORBX Global and it insisted there was a something malicious in it and proceeded to delete whatever it was without any consultation. Turns out it didn't like FSXA and FSXSE being on the same same drive (Drive G). Some bits were installed in FSXA and some bits in FSXSE.... bizarre. I finally resolved it by temporarily changing all folder refs to FSXA to XXXXFSXA. That way the program could not find it at all. FYI I keep FSXA purely as a testbed for aircraft before they go to FSXSE or are deleted. There are other times Kasp has found innocent things to be threatening. It had issues also with my ancient MSOFFICE 2007 too. I think I will try and keep it until the licence expires and probably go back to purely Defender and Malwarebytes and BitDefender unless something special and FREE comes along.
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Reading in the latest issue of Computer Active (30 Aug), that Microsoft have 'backed down', following complaints from Kaspersky. This will hopefully fix any problems with not only Kaspersky's but also other AV providers products and Windows 10.
Hi Kevin, does that mean MS were using cloak and dagger for it's own benefit?

But I am finding now that Kaspersky is finding viruses in innocent places.
Hi Alex, I had the same with Kasperky when installing ORBX Scenery, the best thing I can suggest is after downloading the software make sure that Kaspersky is not running when you install as some of the warnings are false/positives.

Regards
Nigel.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I've used kaspersky for quite a few years now. Used to get it free for 3 machines as part of my on line banking account. Never used to have many problems with it, but recently it's been a bit more picky. Seems like I've got so many exceptions and exclusions set up now I'm not sure it's actually protecting anything! :lol:
Dave G.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 13:44
Hi Kevin, does that mean MS were using cloak and dagger for it's own benefit?

Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel

according to the article, when a customers AV subscription expires the AV program was forced to use Win10's notification tool rather than the AV's own. It's described as being similar to when Microsoft were pushing everyone to use Internet Explorer and making it less obvious that alternatives were available.

Kevin

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 00:30

Cheers Paul

I see that you have V3.1.2 Premium. I have V2.2.1 Home (free), although it still updates regularly.
I have read that V3 Free now contains 'nagware' to try to persuade people to upgrade to the paid version, so I'm a little reluctant to download V3.

Regards

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Yes, I can imagine that it might have 'nagware ' ( what a great expression ! :lol: ). BTW It updated to version 3.2.2 early on this evening, with a lot of improvements that went right over my head, but I trust them to know what they are doing. I'm pretty careful what I click on, but I'm glad it's there and on guard, so to speak.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Kevin, many thanks for the explanation, my Kaspersky was (note past tense) :lol: due for expiry in November but after the hassle I just uninstalled it.

I still have Kaspersky on the wife's laptop, that is running perfectly, it was after I updated to Win10 when it went messed up, must have neen something to do with that upgrade it didn't like!! :wall:

Regards
Nigel.