Which freeware Antivirus is best?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Which freeware Antivirus is best?

Post by tonymadge »

Webroot secure anywhere has served me well over the years, a trip to eBay will get you a licence for a few quid then you download and install. Never let me down and very light on resources as well!
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks to all of you regarding my question of Anti virus.

I decided after some deliberation ('umming and 'arrring) to plunge in and get the free-ware Avast!! :hide:

Many of you had pointed to Windows Defender, maybe I might go that way if I have any problems with Avast but at the moment I'll see how it goes.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Nigel,

Defender is there by default on Windows 10 anyway and shouldn't be disabled, so AVAST will just run along side it. ☺
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ben :hello:

Many thanks, I already have Windows Defender on and as you wrote do have Avast working alongside, should have mentioned that in my last post but me age is beginning to show!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Nigel - good choice! I have used Avast for years and never had a problem. My only objection is the pop ups that appear once in a while trying to sell you more features but they are easily dismissed with a swift click. Incidentally, I think Avast and AVG have now merged and even though they will maintain separate brand identities for now, there will be technology exchanges between the two brands.

Nigel²

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 18:50
Many thanks to all of you regarding my question of Anti virus.

I decided after some deliberation ('umming and 'arrring) to plunge in and get the free-ware Avast!! :hide:

Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel

I've been using the freeware Avast for a couple of years now, since Computer Active magazine rated it as the best performing free AV software, I'm currently running Win7 Pro 64bit.
Avast (freeware) can be annoying with it's 'Nagware' - trying to get you to upgrade to the paid version, but just ignore it.
As well as Avast, I also have the freeware versions of Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Spybot Search & Destroy and ADWcleaner.
And to keep your hard drive and registry in good order, I recommend CCleaner.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Nigelb and Kevin, thanks for your inputs, my decision was also based on best performing free anti virus where Avast came out on top.

So far I have had no annoying pop-ups from Avast though may well have opted out of these after installation (that is if there was any option)! 8)

Regarding Malaware Bytes when I last used it it counted X amount of maleware on my computer but most of that was ORBX Scenery etc so now somewhat unsure whether to have it back on as if any so called malwares are either quarantined or deleted then where does that leave you with bona-fida software, would it still operate? :dunno:

Only download from trusted free-ware sites and use only pay-ware material nothing from the Dark Side for me. :OB:

Many thanks again.

Regards
Nigel.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 16:31
Regarding Malaware Bytes when I last used it it counted X amount of maleware on my computer but most of that was ORBX Scenery etc so now somewhat unsure whether to have it back on as if any so called malwares are either quarantined or deleted then where does that leave you with bona-fida software, would it still operate? :dunno:

Only download from trusted free-ware sites and use only pay-ware material nothing from the Dark Side for me. :OB:

Many thanks again.

Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel

With regards to Malwarebytes, if you go into 'Settings' there is a section labelled 'Malware Exclusions' where you can add flies and folders. These will then be excluded from detection. All sub files and folders will also be excluded.
I think I've only ever had 1 false positive with Malwarebytes, some years ago regarding the ifly 737. Following an update the false positive disappeared - I assume it had been reported. I don't have any ORBX files, so can't comment on that.
Personally, I wouldn't be without Malwarebytes. The free version is passive (i.e. only runs when you request it) and on several occasions, it has found things that Avast missed. The same can be said for Adwcleaner, which is now part of the Malwarebytes family.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Kevin, think I will probably give it another go then.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Further to what Kevin says about exclusions in Malwarebytes, this is what I have, just to give you an idea: