The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

My desk top PC

Post by Airspeed »

I've been without my PC for a couple of weeks.
Performance suddenly deteriorated.
Then it failed to start many times, often pausing after "Checking DCIM pool", to report that it couldn't find the memory (I think?).
FSX was unplayable, and sometimes the PC would shut down and reboot 3 or 4 times, then just switch off, even without FSX running.
I couldn't see anything physical, like clumps of dust, or loose wires, and all the limited diagnostic tools I tried, told me that "the device is working properly". Unplugged and reinserted memory cards... no joy.
Dropped it off to a reputable repairer, but they couldn't replicate the fault, so I got it back free of charge.
It hasn't repeated the switching off, but FSX takes about 7 minutes to get started after "FLY NOW". That used to take less than a minute, so clearly something is wrong.
Could it be the SSD signalling that it's about to die?
When I ask System Mechanic to do any big jobs, like scan for viruses, or find deleted files, it fails to finish, just saying that a problem occurred.
I have several Gb on the SSD, so if this sounds like a failing drive, could somebody let me know, please?
I would back everything up, but my Netgear dual backup system asks me for the password, which I can't find. I do have an exercise book loaded with user names and pw's, but of course, that one is not there. I might have to reset the Netgear device, which means that any deleted files which I backed up a year ago, will be lost forever.
If you've read this far, here, take a biscuit from the tin.
Any comments would be much appreciated. ;)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: My desk top PC

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Mike, I know nothing about SSD Drive but a quick Google search brought me to this, take a read it might help in some small way.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-warning- ... reak-fail/

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

IF you have a fast internet connection (and/or a lot of patience!) you could back up to the cloud (e.g. Google Docs)

Yummy biscuit BTW!

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Hi Mike

sorry to read of your PC woes.
My first advice would be to back up any important data from your SSD as soon as possible.
You could do as Airtrooper says and use the cloud or alternatively buy a HDD as they're fairly cheap these days.
Only you know the value of your data on your Netgear device, but if it was me I wouldn't want to lose anything (can always try and find the password later).
With regard to the problem not showing up at the repairers makes me wonder if transporting the PC has had an effect. Could this indicate a poor connection? I see that you've unplugged and reinserted the memory, but have you also checked connections to the SSD? both power, and between SSD and motherboard?
If you suspect that the SSD is dying, maybe purchase a replacement and use cloning software to copy everything across.
Hope you get sorted.

Kevin

By the way, I got a Custard Cream - yum!
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thank you Gentlemen!
I re-ran the "Windows experience" facility; I thought that it constantly kept itself up to date, but to get the latest, you have to run it. A bit like having to throw your boomerang, if you want it to come back, as Charlie Drake advised.
Result: everything unchanged EXCEPT read/write rating for the principal drive; this was 7.7 and now 5.9. :-O
So, I read Nige's suggestion, finding free software to check SSDs. Unfortunately, Crystal tells you what read/write speeds it finds, not what is expected for a given SSD. :doh: Reading other articles on this mentioned 2886Mb/s, IIRC. But then, mine's not the latest or most expensive. What I can tell you, is that my SSD reads at about 340Mb/s, vs. HDD 70Mb/s.
So far, I've made a repair disk, and backed up the SSD to the HDD. The backup is 103Gb, so with my 6Mb/s upload speed, I had better buy another drive. :agree: If my calculations are correct, I would be uploading for two days non-stop.
Glad you liked the bikkies, we do like to keep a good standard. :lol:
I meant to rip the plugs out of the drive and hammer them back in before writing this. I'll come back with the results....
EDIT...Well, things got worse. Since doing that, the speed dropped to 240Mb/s :doh:
Sounds like it's going fast.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I had a problem a few weeks back - can't remember the details, but by removing & reinserting the power & data connections of each of my HDD's & SSD, I now have a healthy PC (touching wood as I type!)
Mind you I do have a SSD that only has the base software for Windows, with my 500 Mb HDD taking all other program files as I believe that SSD's can become overwritten too many times & then expire as happened with my first experience of a SSD. My current SDD is a Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB that came with its own software to transfer from my HDD to the SSD & has been running for at least 2 years. It still has 40GB unused. I do keep my work backed up on external USB sticks & have another HDD that I sometimes remember to use as a back up store!
Good luck
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

It has to be the SSD.
Further read/write test shows slower again.
Looked up compatible drives on line; apparently those all read at about 530-540 Mb/s new. Only the capacity varies, along with the price - between $90 and $900.
As this SSD has been about the shortest lived component I've experienced on any rig, I'll probably sacrifice some speed for reliability, and replace it with a mechanical drive.
The SSD which is failing contains W7 and many other programmes, so now when I boot, I get strange screens asking which OS I want to use... select from: W7 or BLANK!?

Better sign off before it blows a gasket.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

The slowdown after reattaching cables (above post) was my error; there are many blue cables, some fitted to 3Gb sockets on the board, and 2 only rated at 6Gb. Using the right cable reinstated the 350Mb/s read.

Discovered that SanDisk have their own diagnostic programme, which tells me that all is well, (except that it can't report on read/write speeds.)
Last night, I did what everyone says not to do - defrag the SSD.
This not only cleared a chunk of thumbnails etc etc, but reinstated Windows experience rating from 5.9 to 7.3 :)

I've been chatting with SanDisk, and we are moving along. I'm waiting to see whether the 350Mb/s is the best to expect from my setup.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Back up is giving me headaches as usual, horribly slow, and it backs up files which I didn't request. That's Shadow NTI with Netgear ReadyNAS Duo.

SanDisk want me to wipe the SSD and reinstall everything, but didn't answer whether 350Mb/s is the best I can get out of my outfit.

I don't relish this. As Kevin has reported, reinstalling W7 is painful enough; I'd have to do ALL my C: progs., and I'm not sure that I have access to the original installation .exes for all the on-line purchases.

Anyone with helpful suggestions is welcome to a :guinn: virtual beer, as the ants got into the biscuits.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

W7 be damned. Upgrade to W10 for free with a slight fib it can be yours no issues no Q's asked, it'll be free anyway generally soon enough.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

My wife's machine has been running on it for a long while now.
Alex