Re: My desk top PC

Post by Airspeed »

Your wife is enjoying W10.....how about you, Alex? :dunno: :lol:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

She is unaware of what an OS is 0:) as long as the thing starts up and functions without hiccup she is fine about it. For me I like W10. It is stable and repairs itself when it goes awry seemingly. At the moment MS have made a bit of a whoopsie which is causing some problems in some older 32bit progs running in 64 bit for some people. FSXSE e.g. for me crashes when accessing what they call 'child windows' i.e. the 2D pop ups. But they have stated they will fix it soon-ish. Otherwise P3Dv4 works fine.
Alex

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Vancouver wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 08:14
W7 be damned. Upgrade to W10 for free with a slight fib it can be yours no issues no Q's asked, it'll be free anyway generally soon enough.
W10 will never be 'free'. You may be able to download and install it at no cost, but you can be sure that MS will recoup their costs one way or another.
Similar to supermarkets BOGOF (Buy One Get One Free). It's not 'free', it's conditional. You must buy one item to get the other at no additional cost. If it was truely free, there would be no conditions.
Personnally, I would much prefer to pay for an OS and get 8 to 10 years real support than to get it for free and have the publisher decide what goes onto your PC, what's deleted and what hardware they will continue to support.
As for subscription services (eg most of Adobe's photo processing software) - NEVER!

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...