The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PaulC
VC10
VC10

New PC- No Change

Post by PaulC »

Hello Chaps,

I give in. I've bought a new PC- not a gaming machine, but it needs to be multi-use.

I've got a HP Pavilion 550-103na. As far as running windows and other things, it's like lightening.

FSX however.... it's the same as my old knackered ten year old Dell.

I can't get to grips with what I can do to help it along, I've tried everything. I mean I've read allsorts, abut nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions. I'll be honest- graphics cards confuse me.

Paul

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: New PC- No Change

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, very pleased to hear that you have got yourself a new computer. Just had a look at the specifications of it and it shows that it has integrated graphics as well as sound then this is the likely reason for low performance on FSX.

If you can afford it then I would suggest firstly you go for a graphic card as the integrated graphics will take a lot of processing power and we all know what FSX can do to that!!

NVidia is what I use though it is a GForce GTX760 which is mid range though runs FSX pretty well, have to lower ai settings if flying from Heathrow. but at the time it cost me about £140.

If you are limited to budget then buying a card that has been out for about 2-3 years that is of medium performance may be the better option.

Certainly the integral sound card will also take up resources from your computer but should not affect performance too much, I started out with an HP Pavillion i3 now after many upgrades it isn't an HP any more but a mixture of add-on hardwares. :lol: The last upgrade was a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy as I could not afford the next one up at the time but works well enough for me.

Whatever your choice I would firstly go for a graphics card.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Hi Nigel,

The graphics card was the issue- but not in they way you suggest....

I was running FSX with DX10 preview and the fixer program.

Reading on the net, suggested that the Radeon control centre could not override FSX and ease the graphics strain with DX10...

I've gone back to DX9 and voila- smooth as you like.

Paul

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, :hello: pleased to know that you have sorted out the problem and hope that you get many hours of enjoyment out of your new computer.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.