"Side by side" = Brain fried HELP PLEASE!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

"Side by side" = Brain fried HELP PLEASE!

Post by Airspeed »

Still haven't resolved the USB 3.0 controller issue, so decided to plug the flight controls into USB 2s and live with it.
Not so fast!
Flight Simulator cannot run because its SIDE-BY-SIDE configuration is incorrect.
Check application event log or run sxstrace.exe :cpu: Did that, couldn't find any report to read.
Looked at event log, which just told me to do sxstrace.exe . :doh:
Windows help told me that I could avoid this problem by doing a regedit.
I found the required "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" ok, but there was no such thing as" _COMPONENTS\" :wall:
Tried to reinstall Acceleration, hoping it would align stuff, but it refused to run.
Pumpkin! I said. :rant:
I reinstalled FSX, which took a long time.
Right, now I'll upgrade to Acceleration.
Not until you have activated FSX you old fool!
OK, I'll activate it.
No you won't, because I'm not running FSX, on account of your Direct X isn't version 9....reinstall it from the FSX disk.
Windows ran that during FSX install, I saw it; but obviously it decided that because I had a later Direct X, I wouldn't want to overwrite it.
Search found several Direct X entries in the computer, but I had no idea how to step back to V9; there's no prog. to uninstall
I am stuck, any ideas please?

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: "Side by side" = Brain fried HELP PLEASE!

Post by blanston12 »

To be honest I have not run into the problem your describing so have little direct advice to give.

Trying to install the older versions of FSX onto modern hardware is going to be problematic. Best advice I can give is get FSX Steam, it is the acceleration version recompiled to run on modern hardware.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... oappcompat

You might find the above of some help.... read all.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thank you Gents!
What I really don't understand is that I bought this computer new, with W7 loaded.
I installed FSX, followed by SP1&2, and Acceleration without a murmur.
Following a HD fail, I reinstalled everything without trouble.
According to the thread suggested above, W7 has Dx11 incorporated, so why no trouble back then?
I suspect that one of the Windows updates has jiggered things; in fact this gets a guernsey in the thread.
If indeed MS have fixed this in the last 2 or 3 days, I'm afraid it's too late now, as I reinstalled FSXSE as suggested, and it runs OK.
The only other potential problem AFAIK is my SSD, on which W7 resides. SanDisk have already offered to replace it, bless them.
I did have some progs. that simply stopped, with a message box: [This program has stopped working....], which I found VERY useful. :wall:
I guess that I'll go through much of the same business when I replace the SSD. :(

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

Nothing to add to this but moral support I'm afraid to say, so for what it's worth, my own recent operating system HDD failure (it was more of a slow agonising death rather then an a sudden slash of the grim reapers blade, if I had only been smart enough to recognise the signs tbh), was a voyage of discovery that I guess was much like what you are going through now.

They probably all are like that - just in about a gazillion different ways.

The new SSD I put in ended that journey, eventually, and in a good way I'm glad to say but it did take a while. Forever it seemed at the time but it was probably only a few weeks in reality. Changing the GPU and also (was I completely deranged?) the CPU, and doubling the ram at the same time wasn't perhaps the cleverest thing to do in the middle of all that, but it's sort of what seems to happen when you are burning money unexpectedly all of sudden, it's like, hey what the hell how bad can this this get already anyway?

Good luck my fellow traveller, fwiw it does seem to all work itself out in the end. You will learn a lot about W10 in the process mind, though all of it invaluable for sometime down the line I'm sure
Jim

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

G'day Mike -
When SSDs began to appear, there were lots of warnings.
1 - They are very good at write once /read many operation.
2 - They do not like write many / read many.
3 - The really hate being defragged (it is an extreme form of 2 above.)

So, 1 - Use the SSD for bulk storage and rapid supply, of scenery files and aircraft.
2 - Install FS to your C:\ drive, so that the many things written back by FS go there, and not to the SSD.
3 - Never defrag an SSD.

:cheers:
MikeW

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

G'day MikeW,
Thanks for the post.
When I bought the 220Gb (+-)SSD and a new conventional 930Gb (+-) HD, the advice was to put the operating system on the SSD, and Flight Sim on the 930Gb drive, and that's the way it was set up. I've since added a 2Tb conventional, which I pulled out of my ReadyNAS backup box. I did that because the backups to ReadyNAS were failing, so I tried to eliminate a link in the chain.
I now THINK that the SSD has been a problem because, as mentioned elsewhere, I had progs. that simply stopped working. This side-by-side business, the loss of my USB 3.0 driver, FSX refusing to run with anything other than Direct X 9, etc. etc. are all things that never happened before.
Other things have also changed; FSXSE was previously installed and operated from the same disk as FSX. When I recently reinstalled FSXSE, it modified my FSX installation by at least deleting FSX.exe, but I don't know what else may have been altered.
When I get a new SSD, I will have to try your method of putting FSXSE aircraft and scenery there.
Actually, all this system reading I've been doing, I am thinking of setting up a RAID 0, striping the FS over two drives; apparently, it's four times faster. :-O

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

Did you get your side by side error fixed? I was reading something entirely unrelated on the web and a mention of the error caught my eye. Apparently, (from what I understand only so please don't shoot me if its not right), a side by side error is caused by a failure of FSX (and/or so it seems, P3D) to find and/or initialise Simconnect.
Perhaps reinstalling via the the Simconnect.msi installer might help? Though it should be installed by default with FSX as a matter of course. For P3D the .msi is in the P3D redist folder as an optional file apparently, don't have P3D so that which I have read is all I can say about it, might be of some use to someone.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for that, Jim,
Right now, I don't actually know what Simconnect installer.msi is, but I will look into it.
I didn't really fix it, I side-stepped by reinstalling FSXSE, which means that I have a working FS, but virtually no add-on scenery.
I am really worried about all my Playsims stuff, (UK VFR, Scotland, etc. because the old installation system is locked up in my back up, which I cannot access.
Currently trying to resolve a glitch with FTXAU, which needs updating, but the email address at time of purchase is defunct.
I'm tripping over all sorts; latest being DXTbmp can't run because cannot find MWDDS.DLL :wall: Solved this by re-d/l the prog. and it's working.
Oddly, my Moorabbin Air Museum enhancement transferred to FSXSE OK, but two of the several aircraft textures won't show. They are in the folder, but the aircraft are monotone grey. :dunno:
If I could reinstate my full back up or system image, I'd probably be fine, but W7 refuses to accept that a backup exists, because it hasn't performed one since the re-installation.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hi Mike.
Hope you are getting your problems sorted.
It's frustrating to have to workout issues because a executable should install everything automatically..

But if all else fails you might try putting your computer in the washer on spin cycle. The centrifugal force alone might straighten everything out.

.... OK :poke:
.. That's a bit of a - stretch.. :worried:

:wasntme: