WINDOWS 10

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

WINDOWS 10

Post by Buggyman »

Anyone having the same or similar problems when Win 10 does it's auto update: Avast security takes over my PC, happily informs me that I can upgrade etc, this has happened for both the February and March updates, also a new (v 22) WinZip has been installed, overwriting my existing paid for copy.

Like last time I have uninstalled both and told them to bu**er off but I fear they will be back again in April.

Any one else getting this hassle? More important, anyone got an idea how to stop it happening in the first place?

ATB

Allan

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Re: WINDOWS 10

Post by Elvis Presley »

Nope sorry, no hassle here, which I realise is no help at all. I don't have Avast and never have had mind, the default windows defender seems to do whatever it does OK (presumably, lol). Hope you get it sorted
Jim

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Mr B :hello:
You may be having a different experience, but I can only comment on what I've seen.
With updates, there are often ready-ticked boxes agreeing to install other things. I always read the whole lot, and un-tick where necessary before hitting the "go" button.
This happens with Acrobat etc, where they want you to take virus scanners and so on.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thanks for the pointer, I'll have a look at what preferences I'm signed up for but surely it should be up to the individual to 'opt in' not to have to find out how to opt out?

Almost got onto a soap box there and there's me afraid of heights.

ATB

Allan

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi chaps,

Microsoft doesn't update 3rd party programs at all, so nowt to do with Windows 10. ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Windows 10 is a pile of cr@p, best avoided.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

TSR2 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 23:30
Hi chaps,

Microsoft doesn't update 3rd party programs at all, so nowt to do with Windows 10. ;)
Windows 7 often includes the latest Nvidia driver in its routine updates, ( I always deselect it ). Is that not the same thing?

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

adysmith wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 07:54
Windows 10 is a pile of cr@p, best avoided.
Three of my three PCs, including a 10 year old laptop on which it runs better than 7 ever did, beg to differ.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I agree. It has its foibles but with a careful go through of its settings it can be controlled after a fashion. The other day I fired up the PC and it must have installed an update which was awaiting a reboot. It had wiped out anything in Outlook all my saved e-mails were gone. All my onscreen folders and icons were gone. Fortunately two days before I had done a backup. 5 minutes later all was resolved.

With the odd exception everything works fine under W10. And the OS is way more stable than any previous OS. W7 was good but not this good. I hated 10 at first but it seems (touch wood) to have settled down to be a fine OS.
Alex

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Vancouver wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 18:25
The other day I fired up the PC and it must have installed an update which was awaiting a reboot. It had wiped out anything in Outlook all my saved e-mails were gone. All my onscreen folders and icons were gone.
Back up or not, you make my point for me quite succinctly!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.