The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Most Bizarre Vatsim Event Experience

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

First, I would like to thank all Alaskan controllers for the great PANC event two nights ago although please accept my apologies that I forgot the names of all Alaskan controllers doing ATC controlling in this event but I think Brin and Alex were two out of the controllers.

NOW to my amusing and bizzarre experience during that event called Anchorage Night Out on 3/21/18!!

Microsoft had angered me by updating my Windows 10 without my permission even though I set it to ask me first before update!

I was taxiing on taxiway to gravel runway for flight from PAPH to PANC in middle of Alaska Vatsim event when Microsoft flashed announcement across my computer screen saying that they are starting major update to Windows 10 and started downloading and doing the major update in middle of my flight without my permission. I got panicked and immediately went to Google to look for tips how to override and stop the MASSIVE update that Microsoft was doing to my Windows 10 without my permission. So far I could not find any and decided to take off for flight to PANC in hope this one hour flight would be completed before the update downloading was completed and before it started installing the update which no doubt would cause my laptop to reboot few times. I took off after 1/2 hour delay while searching for tips on how to stop update download that was at 20 percent download during my take off.

I checked computer news and it said "That's probably why Microsoft has -- controversially -- decided to make Windows 10 an automatically-updating OS. Windows 10 automatically checks for, downloads and installs new updates to your PC -- whether you like it or not. This new feature is actually pretty convenient for most users, but not everyone wants their operating system updated on Microsoft's schedule."

In other words, there is nothing on Windows 10 that gives me option to have Microsoft ASKS ME FIRST if I want to update and install.

During the flight, I had discovered that Microsoft's update download process had knocked out functions of my GPS meaning I was flying blindly although it was good thing I remembered specific heading number for TED or ANC waypoint and I had to tell all Alaskan controllers for vectors to runway 33 due to the GPS being disabled by stupid Windows 10 update downloading. During the flight, my laptop blinked few times due to the update download and FSX froze twice but I managed to restart the flight and its precious same last location. The ANC APP was very kind to allow me via very exclusive special authorization to restart the flight at specific location 5 minutes away from runway 33.

Before I took off, I set FSX clock time to specific hour and minute so that I would arrive at PANC during beautiful sunset. That strategy backfired as I left PAPH airport 1/2 hour late meaning that I would arrive at PANC in pitch dark WITHOUT use of GPS to guide me to runway 33!! Even though ANC APP was very kind and helpful doing heading vectors for my plane to approach runway 33. Unfortunately, looking at Aerosoft PANC's runway 33, I realized that in DARK PITCH NIGHT, the runway 33 and taxiway R looked SAME to me with SAME blue lights on sides of stripes!!! Fortunately for me, there was a stream of few planes WITH FLASHING WING BEACONS on way to runway 33 and I was able to get into the line and just followed the FLASHING WING BEACONS all the way to runway!!! HAHHAHAHAHH

Shesshhhhh By the way, I managed to land at PANC when Microsoft screen said that the computer was still busy downloading major update at big number 85 percent. Good thing I landed before the laptop started installing it which could potentially have interrupted my flight!

Then few minutes after landing at PANC and exiting from flight sim, the laptop went on MASSIVE Windows 10 update for THREE HOURS!!

Regards,

Aharon

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: Most Bizarre Vatsim Event Experience

Post by adysmith »

Moral of the story, as some of us have known for a while, Windows 10 is GARBAGE, avoid it like the plague!!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.