FSX to P3D.........is it worth changing?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: FSX to P3D.........is it worth changing?

Post by blanston12 »

I have switched from FSX/FS9 to P3D. With v1 - v3 they were really just fixing the problems with FSX and the difference was not as big as it could have been, but with V4 and 64 bit the change is a dramatic improvement. Now I am using a combination of ORBX and TOPOSim scenery files so the fact they have not updated there scenery is not really much of an issue to me.

I have X-Plane 11 and have purchased every version since 8 but I have never really warmed to it, the key combinations are all different, its harder to tweak the aircraft and don't get me started on its ATC.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Fly and reload, fly and reload
Thanks Chris, will do that when I get round to downloading the demo.

Now I am using a combination of ORBX and TOPOSim scenery files so the fact they have not updated there scenery is not really much of an issue to me.

I have X-Plane 11 and have purchased every version since 8 but I have never really warmed to it, the key combinations are all different, its harder to tweak the aircraft and don't get me started on its ATC.
This is one plus with P3D I guess, my Orbx add-ons should install and I can keep using them, but having viewed some videos of X Plane, this platform does appear to be ahead of P3D in terms of progress and one add-on that appeals to me is the (Ben, don't read any further) FlyJSim 732 but the price is quite steep at $69.95 = £49.28.

I could get 2 aircraft from Just Flight for that but you have to look at the model and how good it looks and also the functionality of it: Heat haze from the engines, passenger cabin fully functional along with chatter from passengers. However, the price is quite high if your're on a pension like me!! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VecUxTmx8A

Still, will be interesting to have other views on either P3D or X Plane 11 'cause I'm still thinking!! :lol:

Memo to self: Must get the Demo!!

Regards
Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Joe, I was doing some more research and came across a free plug-in ATC for X Plane 11 which you may be interested in unless you already know of it.

http://124thatc.matacchieri.eu/

A YouTube Video of it here although you need to probably fast forward at some point but from what I've heard, this ATC Plug-in is by far better than FSX ATC. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzHUgbFSs8o

Also there is XPUIPC for X Plane which may go towards helping setup, apparently it is just like FSUIPC but free.

http://www.tosi-online.de/XPUIPC/What_is_it.html

Regards
Nigel.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

blanston12 wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 04:29
Now I am using a combination of ORBX and TOPOSim scenery files so the fact they have not updated there scenery is not really much of an issue to me.
Blimey! How l;ong have I been PC simming? Since 2004 for heavens sake and I have never heard of TOPO until today. More research ahead. :cheers:
Alex

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Vancouver wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 20:14
blanston12 wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 04:29
Blimey! How l;ong have I been PC simming? Since 2004 for heavens sake and I have never heard of TOPO until today. More research ahead. :cheers:
I found TOPOSim last year when I was doing an around the world flight and was looking for some improved scenery for Asia. With TOPOSim I could get an updated terrain mesh for the whole planet for about the same cost for one ORBX region. Since I already had ORBX Global base and vector the combination what I was looking for.
Joe Cusick,

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Downloaded the demo today and finding it a bit tricky trying to get the controls (Joystick) set up so that it works like the settings I have in FSX.

The elevators, ailerons and rudder are too sensitive, also I selected my slider to operate the elevator trim (Have CH Throttle Quadrant) but there is not, as far as I can see, a selection (as in FSUIPC) to slope slider as it is far too sensitive.

Still working my way round the setup to get an idea of what it can do, using Track IR is brilliant in the sim, very smooth and can lean right over which I cannot do in FSX.

So far I am impressed and may very well end up buying it.

Regards
Nigel.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I tried the X Plane Demo and just did not like it. I am on P3Dv4 with all my orbx and most of my FSX aircraft. I still have FSX Steam but rarely use it. I like P3D
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I too tried XP demo - it didn't suit and I dispute the claim of it's more realistic. Just as much an approximation within limitations as MSFS. The last time I had XP was v6 a million years ago and I hated that with a passion.
Also I have P3Dv1, v2, v4. Only 4 is installed and generally I find it just as stable as my FSXSE which I use mainly. I dislike the P3D interface it really needs to be more friendly. I rarely boot it up as I am so heavily invested in FSX both hardware and software wise.
There used to be a freeware interface by somebody for FSX and an earlier P3D but for the life of me I cannot remember who by or what it was called.
That's my 2 cents FWIW - off to mow the lawn for it has stopped raining after 10 days solid downpours. :OT:
Alex

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Vancouver, I agree with you that I don't find XP more realistic, but personally I don't have a problem with the P3d interface. I remember when FSX replaced FS9 and I found its interface unpleasant, I did not like all those image tiles for aircraft and found it harder to use than the selection lists in FS9, and the P3D interface is more like the old FS9 interface than the FSX interface so I like that. But the interface is just used to setup the flight so as long as I can select the aircraft and airport quickly I am fine.
Joe Cusick,

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I am still on the fence regarding X Plane 11, still very unsure.

I am using the demo version but apart from their A1 trains I don't honestly think, from viewing You Tube that there is much difference graphically.

Regarding handling of the aircraft I find that the controls are very difficult to set up for instance, I would much prefer to use the mouse wheel for trim but not supported (that I can find) but my main concern is that all I have paid for in FSX cannot used in X Plane but can be used in P3D and I think that this will eventually decide it for me.

Regards
Nigel.