X-Plane 11 My Verdict

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by Charlie Bravo »

How are you getting on with XP now Nigel?

I've been tempted to buy a couple of aircraft but am holding off for something else from Carenado.
I really want their Fokker 50 but who knows when that's coming!
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris :hello:

Really enjoying X Plane 11 though have not bought any aircraft for it as yet, have quite a few things to get before I am able to purchase anything at the moment. Really looking forward to when True Earth UK comes out as that is the first on my list of to buys! :lol:

One thing that I do find strange is that the controls are too sensitive, ailerons and elevators, just wish that you could add a bit of slope on the settings to get more of a feel to the aircraft, maybe this does not happen on payware ones' but there is very little options in the joystick setup as it stands presently and have seen posts on various forums making this comment. If you know of a way to improve the control response then I am all ears!! :lol:

Downloaded the freeware x737project and that is certainly very much payware quality, a brilliant aircraft if you do not already have it. Though make sure Ben isn't around when you click on the link!! :lol:

https://www.eadt.eu/index.php?new-x737-version-5

X-Plane 11 has certainly raised the stakes in flight simulation and with free add-ons such as Head Shake and X-Camera it makes flying all the more enjoyable. Really happy that I have bitten the bullet and gone with X plane. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Nigel H-J wrote:
21 May 2018, 17:26
Really happy that I have bitten the bullet and gone with X plane. :thumbsup:
I have to agree Nigel, I was a bit concerned at first but as more time passes the happier I become. I must admit that I have been flying mostly VFR up to now, the scenery is stunning and I'm basically touring around looking at the ground, something I never did with FSX. I found some free textures that give a more Brazilian feel to the terrain than standard.

I did bite the bullet over the weekend and bought a payware tubeliner, the Rotate MD-80. As a long time fan of the DC-9/MD-80 series it was always going to be one of my early purchases, but after much humming and hawing I decided to get it before the 757. I haven't had much time in the MD-80 yet, but from experience with the LSH Maddog, F1 Super 80, and Coolsky DC-9, I was able to get airborne quite quickly. My initial impression is that it's right up there with the FSX aircraft in terms of systems depth, and the graphics are impressive. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea but for Maddog fans it's a winner.

On the control sensitivity issue, there are a set of sliders under the control sensitivity button on the main controller page that can be adjusted to improve control response. The description of what did what didn't seem to make any sense to me so I just started playing around to see what happened, and after a while I managed to get all my controllers much more to my liking. I even set up a couple of profiles for my CH yoke with different functions depending on the aircraft.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

alemaobaiano wrote:
21 May 2018, 19:34
Nigel H-J wrote:
21 May 2018, 17:26
Really happy that I have bitten the bullet and gone with X plane. :thumbsup:
I did bite the bullet over the weekend and bought a payware tubeliner, the Rotate MD-80. As a long time fan of the DC-9/MD-80 series it was always going to be one of my early purchases, but after much humming and hawing I decided to get it before the 757. I haven't had much time in the MD-80 yet, but from experience with the LSH Maddog, F1 Super 80, and Coolsky DC-9, I was able to get airborne quite quickly. My initial impression is that it's right up there with the FSX aircraft in terms of systems depth, and the graphics are impressive. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea but for Maddog fans it's a winner.

My finger was hovering over the buy button on the MD80 a couple of days ago. Do you think it's vastly better than the default one?
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

On the control sensitivity issue, there are a set of sliders under the control sensitivity button on the main controller page that can be adjusted to improve control response. The description of what did what didn't seem to make any sense to me so I just started playing around to see what happened, and after a while I managed to get all my controllers much more to my liking. I even set up a couple of profiles for my CH yoke with different functions depending on the aircraft.
I have been trying different settings with the the sliders and I guess since I have been used to FSUIPC in FSX it can be quite difficult to adapt to a new setup controller wise, having said that I very much enjoy X Plane and although will continue with FSX due to many favourite aircraft not currently available in X Plane, I much prefer this new platform and pleased to hear that you are also happy with it, just going to have to get down to buying some payware aircraft after I have got some hefty spending out of the way.

As far as tubeliners go, I have flown the MD80 that comes with X Plane though finding it a bit confusing in that when I have selected ILS Frequency I am not getting the glide slope on my instruments, going to have to :rtfm: and that also goes with the freeware 737 by EADT. I never learnt how to use an FMC, always prefering to fly the old fashion way of VOR to VOR manually!! 8) FMC just confuses me!!

When True Earth UK comes out I will be spending most of my time flying VFR and will have to use a road map as my guide until I can scrounge an aviation chart from somewhere!! :lol: Well why not, after all it will depict the UK with every town and village as well as roads and railways so it should be 'As Real As It Gets'!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 21 May 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Charlie Bravo wrote:
21 May 2018, 20:49
My finger was hovering over the buy button on the MD80 a couple of days ago. Do you think it's vastly better than the default one?
In a word....yes.

But, having said that I am a long term fan of these babies, over several different sims. This one is pretty much up to the standard of the Leonardo/LSH Maddog for FS2004/FSX in terms of systems fidelity, get a switch out of position and you aren't going to start the beast. If you like MD-80s this one is worth getting.

I would point out that it has a reputation as a frame hog, I use the optional 2k textures and get around 22-24fps on the flight deck, down by around 6fps from the DA-62 that I normally fly. It is smooth though so I have had no problems in the few flights I've done. The switchery takes some getting used to, some click-and-drag, some rotary, not always the most intuitive way to control stuff.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

get a switch out of position and you aren't going to start the beast
I have to add I had a freeware version of the MD80 when flying in FS9 it was made by a pilot who actually flew them and was of payware quality it took me ages to figure out how to start the hydraulics for the flight controls. It was somewhere down near the throttle quadrant if my memory serves me right.

It is by all accounts a very difficult aircraft to master yet alone to fly but still trying to get to grips with the default MD80, don't think I am ready for the payware version just yet!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

I'm currently busy covering much of Europe in photoscenery at 1.2m. So far I've completed England and Wales, France, Belgium, bits of Spain, most of Switzerland, almost all of Italy and almost all of Greece as well as Cyprus, Malta and Crete. Takes up quite a bit of space - including the standard full set of X-Plane scenery I have 1.1Tb used up so far across three different drives. I'll have to stop very soon as I'm getting very low on space.

I'm very impressed with X-Plane's handling of photoscenery - no blurries and smooth presentation of 3d objects.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have 1.1Tb used up so far across three different drives. I'll have to stop very soon as I'm getting very low on space.
Well, that counts me out trying to compete with you Chris! :lol:

May well try photo-scenery stateside soon, have 800Gb left on my hard drive so should hopefully get a decent amount of the West Coast until Orbx do NRM and others.

Regards
Nigel.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

You could do what John Venema does Nigel. Get a USB external hard drive and put all your scenery on that.