X-Plane 11 My Verdict

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by DaveG »

I see XP is on sale at Steam at the moment.
34% off, £36 until the 1st Nov.
Think I'll pick it up tonight. *-)
Dave G.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

DaveG wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 08:21
A wise choice ;)
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Wise indeed! Also if you're a subscriber to JFs email newsfeeds there's 20% off their products until November 12th. I got the Hawk for X-Plane and it's a bit of a cracker. Have yet to get TE as my broadband has been playing up but suspect I'll get that this coming weekend. I think I've also persuaded SWMBO to allow me an Nvidia 2070 for a significant Bday so hopefully will be getting that also.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I very nearly bought XP from the X-Plane website last night, but it was getting late so I thought I'd wait till the weekend. Just as well as I hadn't seen the Steam sale at that point! :lol: I'll probably get TE once I've got XP set up properly.
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

A wise choice ;)
A very very wise choice, come to think of it I don't believe that since I purchased X Plane 11 that Laminar have ever had a sale, could be wrong? :dunno:

One aspect I really liked about it was that you can choose which countries you want to install, saves a lot of space.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

It’s my understanding that if you buy the XP11 DVDs, you have to keep one disc in the player while playing the game, and if you buy the online version you have to stay online to play. What happens with the Steam version ? Can you play the game while the PC is offline ?

Thanks for any help,
Ro

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ro, I don't know about the DVD version of having to keep a DVD in to play but I do have a couple of Steam Games (not X Plane 11 which was purchased directly from Laminar and do not have to be on-line to play) and can play my other games without having to be on-line.

To do that I disconnect my computer from the internet then select a game to play. A warning box comes up from Steam saying no connection with an option to play off-line.

Not sure whether Steam informs you of any updates to X Plane 11 or if it is done automatically. All I do know is that any updates from Laminar come through to Steam a bit later than mine does but that is not very long.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Nigel.

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Yes, I know about running Steam games offline - all of my current games do that. But what I don't know is whether Steam-XP11 will run when offline - especially given that LR say that their own online version must be online to play.

But thanks for the reply,
Ro

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I installed XP via Steam last night, but haven't had chance to try it yet. If I get chance tonight, I'll try it without being connected and see what happens.
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

But what I don't know is whether Steam-XP11 will run when offline - especially given that LR say that their own online version must be online to play.
Hi Ro, just had a google about your query, hope this helps.

https://www.x-plane.com/product/x-plane-11-steam/

Think this may just be down to the fact of protection just in case some-one having an illegal copy though wonder if, once started you can then come off-line and continue to play? :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.