X-Plane 11 My Verdict

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by KPryor »

So I bought X-Plane 3 days ago and am loving it. There are some things I miss about FSX/FS9, but the good news is I still have those and can use them anytime I wish. XP, despite the lack of decent ATC and AI aircraft, is much more of a challenge to me. I'm not a pilot and only have one experience flying a plane (years ago in a C172), so I can't testify as to the realism, but to me it just "feels" more real. I'm greatly enjoying the new challenge and have found out several times that I'm not as smart as I think I am. One thing I do not like is XSquawkbox. I would much prefer a stand alone client like vpilot, etc. XSB is difficult to read and just kinda clumsy to me. Still, the pros outweigh the cons, so I'm hooked.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

So I bought X-Plane 3 days ago and am loving it.
Hi KPryor, kind of grows on you doesn't it!! :thumbsup: Dont forget to visit the X Plane.Org where you will find plenty of add-ons to maximize your experience. Things like Better Push-Back for one as well as many others. https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/

Have just posted a video in the Gallery Section Rain Effect add-on, well worth downloading IMO.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by KPryor »

Thanks Nigel. I got Better Pushback and it's great. Probably my favorite plugin thus far is AviTab. I'll take a look at the rain effects you mentioned.
I really haven't got a good weather solution at the moment. Until 11.32 comes out, the built in real weather function is broken because the service they pull the weather from requires https now instead of http, which is what XP is set to use currently. I don't want to spend the money for ActiveSky XP yet, having read mixed reviews on this first version. I'm using the free FSRealwx for now and it's ok, but not great.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi KPror, I never used rain until now, so try to limit my flying in bad weather as enjoy VFR in True Earth so much it is a shame to have reduced visibility except when I practice my IFR Flights!! B-)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by KPryor »

I'm kind of a weather nut and like the challenge of flying in the bad stuff. Not to say I don't ever fly in perfect weather, but sometimes I prefer flying in sub-optimal conditions.