X-Plane 11 My Verdict

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

grumpyoldb
Viscount
Viscount

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by grumpyoldb »

I'm trying to convert some British military scenery for xplane but having problems excluding the default scenery. I'll get there eventually.
Cessna_172SP_3.png
(198.76 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Steve.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

Are all of you guys running photoscenery?

I'd go for add-ons for the vector data to save disk space and have seasons.

Nigel H-J wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 17:43
The assignments for buttons is easy though got me stumped once or twice when I typed in elevator trim in the search box.....then discovered it was the wrong term.....typing in 'pitch trim' works wonders!! :lol:
The terminology is also a bit inconsistent. "Roll trim" and "Aileron trim center" for example.
The menu for selecting aircraft and especially airports is so much better, gives you the layout of the airport and parking spaces to choose from so you can see exactly where you are going to spawn in at and also the layout of the taxiways before getting into the aircraft.
Oh yes, that's a very useful feature. No more guessing if you want to spawn at a terminal.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

ChrisHunt wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 11:07
Here's those images I was promising. Two sets - the first is on approach to the Moroccan coast then a couple of views of Tangier. The eagle eyed will notice Tangier airport in the third image and in common with most other airports I've seen you have to look carefully to spot them. You may also notice that aircraft I'm flying isn't under power - that's because there's a bug in XP-11 that doesn't reset the fuel levels when starting a new flight in the same aircraft. The first time it happened I managed a dead-stick landing back at Gib. The second time I found the appropriate menu item to add fuel - shortly before I was going to get my feet wet.

https://imgur.com/gallery/akNnNI8
Chris, just a thought... I don't know whether you are new to Imgur, or maybe unaware, but you can link the images there so they show up in your posts.

Click on the 'Copy' button of the 'BBCode' link shown, then paste it in your post. ( Apologies if you already know all this. )

It then appears in the post thus:

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Are all of you guys running photoscenery?
Hi Bjoern

I think I might be on my own on this, but for space reasons I have opted to go with HD Mesh v3 , instead of full Ortho scenery. I have one payware photoreal area (Mega São Paulo) but everything else is HD Mesh, and it is really very good, at least in South America. Roads, rivers and land areas are improved, and even the cities and towns are better than the already very good default. Navigating by following roads or rivers is no problem, they all run where they should, and land features appear as expected. Cities have the right mix of buildings, but they obviously are from the libraries and not exactly correct.

Having said all that, once space permits, I expect I will be adding more Ortho photoreal scenery. The one set I have is really "WOW I can see my house from here" standard. Apart from disk space my only reservation about photoreal is the same as it was with FSX, in that seasonal changes aren't reflected on the ground, so I will probably end up with a few specific photoreal areas over the HD mesh.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

alemaobaiano wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 12:04
I think I might be on my own on this, but for space reasons I have opted to go with HD Mesh v3 , instead of full Ortho scenery. I have one payware photoreal area (Mega São Paulo) but everything else is HD Mesh, and it is really very good, at least in South America. Roads, rivers and land areas are improved, and even the cities and towns are better than the already very good default. Navigating by following roads or rivers is no problem, they all run where they should, and land features appear as expected. Cities have the right mix of buildings, but they obviously are from the libraries and not exactly correct.
HDMesh might be the way to go then.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Bjoern

I use Ortho4XP and X Europe 2 but it can and will take up a lot of disk space but I think I will come to a crossroads when Orbx True Earth UK comes out and may very well be tempted to buy that but also keep Ortho4XP and X Europe 2 as a standby, having seen the video from Orbx, it looks decidedly good, and as having registered with them as being 65 or over, they give a 20% discount for sceneries which is good forward thinking by Orbx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4U0AogkL9U

The already released Barton Airfield Manchester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x08CMsg676k

I have also heard that UK 2000 Scenery will be doing airports for X Plane 11
The terminology is also a bit inconsistent. "Roll trim" and "Aileron trim center" for example.
Could that be due to American terminology? :dunno: Would have been a lot better had they kept it simple like FSX.

Steve, that scenery you are doing looks extremely good, if you are having any problems then you could always put up a question in the Avsim Forum here and they may be able to advise you better.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/336- ... ery-forum/

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

UK2000 are already porting their airports over to XP11.
I've purchased Stansted and Manchester and neither have a negative affect on the frame rates. They are also very good and offer near but not perfect accuracy.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

UK2000 are already porting their airports over to XP11.

:doh: Just shows how slow I am in getting the latest news!! :lol:
They are also very good and offer near but not perfect accuracy.
By that do you mean the layout of the airports themselves?

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Could not resist this flight with the freeware Mr X Scenery. Click on pictures for larger view.

External power unit connected, just the walk round needed

Lined up at San Francisco Intl and ready to go in the DA 62 - never ceases to amaze me how they get the runways to slope as per the real ones.

San Francisco to the left with Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge in view

Just had to do a low flyby

On the way back to the airport with San Francisco below

Landing lights illuminating the runway, just love the lighting effect.

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 10 Jun 2018, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Hi Nigel,

I can only really speak for Stansted as I'm an Airfield Ops Ranger there. As I have access to the whole airfield, I notice things on the UK2000 scenery like ground markings etc.
I'd say the layout itself is spot on but it's just the smaller details I notice that 99% of others wouldn't see as being an issue.

I did message the folks at UK2000 offering my assistance in enhancing things with the STN product and they replied saying if they needed anything, they'd be in touch.

Still a good buy, all the same :)
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.