Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by Airspeed »

G'day Ro, here is your answer:
https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/mac/

I don't have a Mac myself.
I did download X-Plane years ago, but didn't get right into it at the time.
Reading up now, I see that could have been as long ago as 1993. :-O

The Windows demo took a long time to download.
There is a Mac demo for free trial, see above article.
All I can suggest is to give it a go (unless your connection will cost you a fortune)

New Zealand scenery: https://lyndiman.com/lyndimans-new-zeal ... raphy-set/ should get you started.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

To get more stable framerates, try 3J FPS Wizard,w hich will adjust LOD details for objects and clouds to obtain a specific target frame rate.
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... th-flying/
Requires FlyWithLUA Core Edition.
Nice find Bjoern, that works very well and is easy to configure just the way you want it. Even my MD-80 runs at 30fps now, up from the mid 20s, with no apparent loss of quality. The DA-62 is consistently over 40 too.

I think its time for Nigel to claim his commission from Laminar for the number of converts since he started this thread :cheers:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

G'day Mike,
and thanks for your reply. I am reluctant to try any of the demos for X-Plane 11 because I cannot find any reference to the size of the download required, and because my internet connection has good speed but a monthly limit on downloads.

But a special thank you for the link to the NZ downloads - I will most certainly make use of that if I do go for X-Plane 11.

Thanks again,
best regs,
Ro
:cheers:

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

The X-Plane 11 demo is around 7 GB.

And forget about that NZ ortho scenery. At that zoom level, each tile(!) is 8 to 9 GB and there's around 60 of them.
UHD Mesh v4 ist the much more economical solution, clocking in at around 2 GB and using X-Plane's landclass system.
http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-pla ... cenery-v4/

You can add anything you like (aircraft, plugins, scenery) to the demo to see the effects it'll have on the sim. This is a great way to suck $60 out of your wallet since you just wanna know how these things will fare beyond that 10 minute limit. :lol:

By the way: Buy the DVD version if you're on limited data.
https://xplane.ultracartstore.com/check ... ntId=MEYER#

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I think its time for Nigel to claim his commission from Laminar for the number of converts since he started this thread :cheers:
Not thought of that but somehow don't think they would offer anything anyway. :lol:

Got some more chaps interested on another Forum I'm on that fly Cliffs of Dover, really enjoying X Plane and flying visual navigation with Orth and X Europe, can't get any better than that.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Just bought my first payware aircraft for X-Plane - the AMX. Actually for X-Plane 10 but works in 11 and is "fun", i.e. not too systems heavy, aircraft to fly. I'm in the middle of copying a load of new tiles into my scenery folder and once that is done I'll give the AMX a go. I've extended my Orpho world across to the east of Austria and down into Croatia so that's where I'll be going on my test flight. Either than and start at Nice and across the southern margins of the Alps.

BTW the available satellite imagery for Denmark is no great shakes - quite washed out and consequently lacking good definition. Satellite imagery tends to work best with good light levels so I have high hopes for Croatia.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

A minute later, she was a smoldering wreck. Landings apparently work a bit differently compared to FSX.
Back to flight school.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

A minute later, she was a smoldering wreck. Landings apparently work a bit differently compared to FSX.
Back to flight school.
:lol: :lol:

Happened to me as well!!

Now fly without passengers until I crack smoother landings. Strangely enough, light aircraft pose no problems.

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Bjoern. :hello:

I know I stated that I was sceptical about third party add-ons but I think that is because in the past with FSX I had some glitches after trying out some add-ons.

Downloaded the 3JFPS Wizard and gave it a go. Brilliant find so a big thank you for that link. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Aerobask have released their Robin DR401 as freeware for XP11

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... nt-1436384

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett