X-Plane 11 My Verdict

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by DaveG »

I did take it round the loop just after taking those screenshots. Handles quite nicely, although I did make a bit of a pigs ear of the landing back at Valley afterwards. :lol:
Dave G.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

I actually prefer the free Alphajet to the JF Hawk for low level silliness, the HUD makes all the difference at 50` over the Wash :lol:

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Hi chaps.

It seems I've come late to both the party and the post that discusses it!

I switched to X Plane 11 about three months ago, and goodness me, why did it take me so long?
To give you an idea of how impressed I am by it, my P3D and FSX haven't been touched since and FSX will certainly be getting removed from my PC.

X Plane is outstanding, not just the sim itself but the support, the developers, Laminar research... it's such a breath of fresh air!

I'm lost for words at how good it is out of the box.

Hope you're all keeping well, sorry I've been so quiet.

Paul

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Welcome to X-Plane Paul. Apart from Orbx True Earth (Halifax coming soon) XEurope v2 coupled with the relevant Ortho tiles are good investments (both free) and plenty of other free stuff also.

I've downloaded the Alpha but not had a chance to try it yet. As for the Hawk - I also managed to make a pigs ear of my first landing and probably a fair few still to come. Also downloaded the Rafale from the same place so I've got high hopes for that.

I know we should be avoiding my-sim-is-better-than-your-sim stuff but I've been able to do a pretty direct comparison of how X-Plane handles scenery and how pretty much the same scenery is handled in P3D (v4). In short chalk and cheese - high frame rates in X-Plane and pretty abysmal in P3D and that's with an nVidia 2070. The area of interest is central France covered by XEurope 2 and Ortho for X-Plane and France VFR for P3D. Mind you it might be the coding for France VFR objects but the difference is substantial.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I switched to X Plane 11 about three months ago, and goodness me, why did it take me so long?
To give you an idea of how impressed I am by it, my P3D and FSX haven't been touched since and FSX will certainly be getting removed from my PC

Hi Paul and pleased to hear that you are enjoying X Plane, like you I have not flown FSX after installing X Plane but I really missed the classic aircraft such as the VC10 and Trident as well as quite a few more that I own however, I did uninstall FSX at one point but put it back to fly in it occasionally but not very often, X Plane is by far a much better platform.

Looking forward to the release of X Plane 11.30 especially as you can change the response curves on your controls which will make a tremendous improvement on handling overall, no more skating down the runway at take-off or landing!! :lol:

Keep thinking whether to try the Beta but would rather wait until it comes out officially as have seen some posts where users have come across a few problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtANcylnoEY

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I'm obviously obviously the odd one out. :lol: I kept trying the XP demo, then bought the full program during the Steam sale recently, but after using it for a couple of weeks I've pretty much given up on it and gone back to P3d.
Dave G.

JohnD
Victor
Victor

Post by JohnD »

Your not the only one Dave. :agree:
I too have tried XP11, while it is OK, I much prefer P3DV4 and now the QW 146 is available for it I have ditched FSX-Steam completely.

John
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

I too, against my better judgement having tried previous versions and not been impressed, have had a dozen or so flights and been very disappointed. I had hoped that the UI would have been more user friendly. So I returned, cap in hand, to P3D.

Sad really as X-Plane has so much to offer...…….

ATB

Allan

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I got it in the summer, just cannot take to it. But then I am indifferent towards P3D too. Keep going back to FSX as I have so much invested in it over the 12 years of its existence. Comfy, like putting on a pair of old slippers which occasionally fall off or cause me to trip but I love them anyway. 8)
Alex

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

For those of you using XP, you may be interested to know HiFi have now released their Active Sky weather engine for XP.
https://hifisimtech.com/asxp/
Dave G.