Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by Charlie Bravo »

DaveG wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 10:46
For those of you using XP, you may be interested to know HiFi have now released their Active Sky weather engine for XP.
https://hifisimtech.com/asxp/
No replacement cloud textures until next year though 😔
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

No replacement cloud textures until next year though 😔
In that case I will hold off until they are available.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

With Just flight having released the Vulcan, X Plane have also released one a B2, just downloading it and see how it fares. There are a few known issues given and they are listed below.

Most cockpit functions are operational but not all (the Vulcan was a complex and innovative aircraft)
The model uses transparency to add/remove some parts - this does leave some edge artefacts particularly for the tanker unit
On v11.26 the engine exhaust is on the heavy side even though it's set to the minimum. Use the mod below if you want to remove it (I did)
There are a couple of small gaps in the cockpit that where in the original model - and I’m struggling to find and fix.

In any case it will be a stop gap until hopefully, Just Flight release theirs for X plane 11

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... omLogout=1

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Downloaded the Vulcan and have to say for a freeware version inside it is very good, took me some time to find where to shut the hatch door though so important to :rtfm: :lol:

Good 3D Cockpit which shows its' age.

Started my first flight with engines running and taxying was not a problem though you do have to be careful as the nose wheel is someway back from where you sit, full rudder for turns was a bit of a problem as you need a bit of space, could do with some tweaking.

Took off with a full fuel load for one circuit, the aircraft appears (from my point of view) to be far too sensitive on the controls, you are flying a big aircraft but this seems to handle more like a fighter, going to see if I can tweak the controls so that it slows the roll and pitch. the roll and pitch indicators in the cockpit work very well and is extremely useful when doing pre-flight checks just to know that they are still attached! :lol:

One problem was sighting the flamin' runway on turn onto finals, so easy to lose sight of the airfield due to the lack of visibility from the cockpit.

Landing with full airbrakes, again the aircraft does not seem to respond enough to the airbrakes in slowing down, but according to one pilot he stated that
with throttles closed airbrakes out and I still struggle to lose height and speed.
What I did find that the Vulcan wallowed on approach even though my speed was 145 knots and struggled like mad to keep her in line with the runway.

More test flying to do but overall I give this a big thumbs up, for a freeware aircraft it is very very good! :thumbsup:

Click on pictures for larger view.

A good read regarding flying the Vulcan: https://www.pilotweb.aero/features/flig ... -1-1650107

Regards
Nigel.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

That looks pretty good for freeware......downloading now.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Any comments on the new 11.30 update chaps?

Took a very quick flight in the MD80 and the Beech Baron though one thing that I did notice on replay was no tyre smoke on landing, the new jet engne effects are really great and realistic and the ability to alter the response curves certainly improves the handling of the aircraft.

The only thing that I am finding is when I first start X Plane it seems to get stuck before the loading screen comes on and I have to start the task-master to shut it down then re-start. Just wondering as when I updated X Plane I forgot to remove some DLLs' for ReShade, had read some time ago that you have to remove a certain file or dll belonging to ReShade before updating and forgot about it. :wall:

Apart from that and although I have not done anything more other than fly a circuit it seems OK. Has anyone noticed whether or not fps has improved in 11.30 over 11.25?

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Had a quick 10 minute fly earlier on. It seemed a little more fluid although the frame rate itself was no different.

I also like the new heat haze effect but I do wish they'd set it to just come from the jet itself and not the bypass when flying an airliner.

I also noticed that flywithlua had stopped and wouldn't start.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris, I guess you already have the latest version of FlyWithLua but if not link below:

https://www.x-plained.com/flywithlua-for-x-plane-11/

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Orbx TrueEarth Great Britain North is out now chaps. A whopping 20gb download.

https://orbxdirect.com/category/europe/xp11

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Charlie Bravo wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 11:53
Orbx TrueEarth Great Britain North is out now chaps. A whopping 20gb download.

https://orbxdirect.com/category/europe/xp11
That will complete the set :welldone: :welldone:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett