Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by alemaobaiano »

Nigel H-J wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 16:34
Apart from that and although I have not done anything more other than fly a circuit it seems OK. Has anyone noticed whether or not fps has improved in 11.30 over 11.25?

Regards
Nigel.
FPS has definitely not improved, quite the opposite in fact. With ORBX TE, ASXP real weather performance textures, and the Aerobask DA-62 I was seeing 30-35 fps flying at around 2000' under 11.26. With 11.30 I'm seeing 25 or so, dropping to less than 20 around London for example. Some of my payware is unusable over the UK, trying to land the FF767 at Heathrow on 15 fps loses it's charm pretty quickly.

With standard scenery away from the UK I see a similar percentage reduction in frames but I'm still mostly around 30 so eminently flyable. I do have problems with my Mega SP scenery, depending on the aircraft it can drop to 20 pretty easily.

Of course I could turn the detail level down one notch, but I didn't pick up the TE and MegaSP scenery to turn off details. Personally I think 11.30 is a disaster of an update, the new particle system is way OTT, ATC talks nicer but is still rubbish, the default cloud textures haven't been touched and quite a few lua scripts no longer work. It looks like Laminar went more for eye candy than any of the improvements that many users on the forums were asking for.

OTOH handling does seem smoother and more realistic.

I nearly kicked my CPU after the 11.30 update because I hadn't reinstalled the ASXP performance cloud set and was looking at 15fps sat on the ground at Biggin :$
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by KPryor »

I'm seriously considering purchasing X-Plane in the near future. It's a tough decision to change sims, given the amount of money and time I have invested in FSX and FS9, but I'm really starting to want something a little more up to date. I've been reading everything I can find about it lately to help me decide.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Charlie Bravo wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 11:53
Orbx TrueEarth Great Britain North is out now chaps. A whopping 20gb download.

https://orbxdirect.com/category/europe/xp11
A word of warning... When I wrote that last post, it was just downloading the file. It is still converting the files (13245 of them) and is giving my laptop a hammering. If you are planning to fly tonight, don't start the installation off (unless your name is Nigel and you've had permission from the wife to purchase a ridiculously fast system :lol: )
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

(unless your name is Nigel and you've had permission from the wife to purchase a ridiculously fast system )
:lol: :lol: Speaking of which...………..My computer arrived today :excited: My god, talk about packaging, there was bubble wrap around it X4, and also wrapping inside the computer itself to protect all the innards during transit. :lol:

If any-one is considering a computer I would highly recommend Scan, when I first placed the order they gave me a call a bit later and told me that the case I had chosen was not suitable so had it changed to another one, they then kept me informed of the build progress through my email address and I could also go onto their site and see what stage of build it was. The only disappointment I had was that they sent me a mug with Scan on it and when I unpacked it I found that the handle was broken. Shame really as it would hold quite a bit of coffee/tea in it. :((

When I finally got into the box and also removed all the protection from the inside I fired her up, completed all the updates and then set about installing my software. Having the OS on the M.2 is brilliant as boot-up is really extremely quick, in fact damned quick!!

At the moment I am downloading Dirt Rally and it is taking a looong time, already 2 hours have past and fear that I will not have enough time to try it out before lights out!! So much for a slow internet connection but...….tomorrow I will download X Plane 11 with just the European Countries (will download the States if and when I need it but all games going onto the SSD. As for FSX I might just leave that out, don't think that even this computer will do anything for the popping up scenery which drives me nuts!! :wall:

I think it will be about 2 days before I will fly in X-Plane as want to download all the Orbx Sceneries I have and that will take some time I guess.

When that is done I will let you know how I get on.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

FPS has definitely not improved, quite the opposite in fact. With ORBX TE, ASXP real weather performance textures, and the Aerobask DA-62 I was seeing 30-35 fps flying at around 2000' under 11.26. With 11.30 I'm seeing 25 or so, dropping to less than 20 around London for example. Some of my payware is unusable over the UK, trying to land the FF767 at Heathrow on 15 fps loses it's charm pretty quickly.
Hi Tony, I did read about this on their Forum and some stated that by going into the Threaded Optimisation on the NVidia Panel did help but cannot remember whether you switch it on or off but that seemed to help somewhat. Worth a try!

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Spent this morning and part of the afternoon installing X Plane and also Orbx though still have Central to install.

Once I got X Plane more or less setup I took my first flight with the DA62 over London, still got a bit more fiddling around to do but overall extremely pleased with the performance.

From selecting a flight to actually loading it took just a shade under 1 minute, before with my old computer it could take up to between 5 - 7 minutes.

There are no Ai aircraft, the clouds are default and only used the Diamond DA62 for this short sortie.

Click on pictures for larger view.

Regards
Nigel.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Thanks for posting that Nigel........not :poke:

Mine would be down to single digits if I tried to run with that video configuration :help:

Joking aside, 11.30 does seem smoother at lower frames rates than earlier versions so the fps drop is less critical than the numbers would suggest.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

KPryor wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 15:02
I'm seriously considering purchasing X-Plane in the near future. It's a tough decision to change sims, given the amount of money and time I have invested in FSX and FS9, but I'm really starting to want something a little more up to date. I've been reading everything I can find about it lately to help me decide.
Do it. I changed about 6 months ago havibg had FSX since its launch and latterly P3D. I have no add on scenery, and the only aircraft changes I've made are the addition of the Zibo 737NG mod and the purchase of the Rotate MD80.

It's still far far better than the others despite all the payware I had.

I'm my opinion it also feels more real. Reactions are better and it's just more immersive.

Paul :hello:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Alternative view. ;)
I too purchased xp, but after using it for a couple of weeks, I've now deleted it and returned to P3D.
There was a lot to like, but also quite a lot that I didn't, and overall I found I preferred P3d.
Best thing is to try the XP demo.
Dave G.

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by KPryor »

I've tried the demo and liked it. It's hard to get a great feel for things in a 15 minute time limited demo, but I was pleased with it for the most part. I have an older computer, but it seemed to run it well. I built this system close to 10 years ago and it performed well with the XP Cessna, though I'm not sure how it would do with any add-on aircraft. My system is a a first gen I7-920 with 12 gb ram and a GeForce 970 video card. The video card is limited by the motherboard, but it still does pretty well.