Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by blanston12 »

Not commenting on XP-11 but I find it interesting that the slogan for it is:

More powerful. Made usable.

So basically they are admitting that previous versions were not usable.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Good point. Plus as a slogan it's pretty rubbish too. Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue. 8)
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

What have you started Nigel! ;) :lol:
:doh: :lol:

I don't honestly know but the aim of this thread is to be factual and give my opinion I as become more familiar with X-Plane 11, I have to say that presently I have not installed any add-ons even the latest release from Orbx has been left out for the time being (real reason awaiting the release of True Earth UK instead) :lol:

Just to let you chaps know, I am doing a video of X-Plane (out of the box) so that you can get an idea of performance I am getting for my setup (an old i5) and what the default scenery is like, when well out in the country there is not much at all and the trees need an upgrade but the part you might find interesting is flying at night, street lighting and vehicles.

Will post here when done.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Unfortunately I have not been able to record as having problems with my recorder software and until I can get a workaround all I can suggest is that have a look on YouTube as there are a number of videos worth watching.

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Although I haven't used it myself, there is an option to record within the top left menu of X-Plane itself.

Not sure what it produces mind.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Does the current XP have AI aircraft buzzing about either by default or addon? The reason I ask is that it adds to the whole atmosphere in FSX and while not essential to the purist simmer I like my UTLive and MAIW.

My recollection of AI in XP come from version 6 (yes that long ago) and the AI then consisted of the occasional aircraft in the distance which was coincidentally the exact same a/c the user was flying at the time.... Wholly unsatisfactory.
Alex

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel, your thoughts and observations are very welcome indeed. With the demise of FSW, and discussions over which simulator the non-student consumer should now focus on, the more we know about X-P11 the better. I won't be making my move until the autumn, when a new computer is scheduled, but I will appreciate having you cultivate my knowledge of the sim in the meantime.

:cheers:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Does the current XP have AI aircraft buzzing about either by default or addon? The reason I ask is that it adds to the whole atmosphere in FSX and while not essential to the purist simmer I like my UTLive and MAIW.
The default Ai are there and can be seen at airports however, I have found one annoying thing is that on 2 occasions once at Leeds Bradford Airport and then Humberside Airport a helicopter hovers into position for take-off just in front of me and stays there! :wall: there was a twin aircraft that came onto the same runway as me but continued to taxi along until coming to an intersection leading off the runway, it then taxied onto a road and accelerated away though I did not see it take off.

There is a menu for Ai aircraft and all I could do was get the total to 19 different types. You do see aircraft at altitude but think there may be an anomaly as from the rear of the engines there is black smoke not white.

I do believe there are payware versions of Ai out but as yet not taken the time to look.
Although I haven't used it myself, there is an option to record within the top left menu of X-Plane itself.

Not sure what it produces mind.
Great, many thanks for that, something I have missed so will try recording some flights with it.

Have been flying the MD 82 as well as the B737, both are default aircraft that come with X-Plane as well as the B747. I flew the MD 82 yesterday after setting my controls up to fly it, the cockpit is really well done and appears payware quality, the side window in the cockpit will open and close thought there are some switches that are none functionable. Now for the verdict..........As I wrote the aircraft cockpit is very very good but..............even though I had set up my joystick as best as possible the aircraft just felt far too responsive on the controls with very little input required. There is no way that I can find to make the aircraft feel a bit heavier on the controls and for anyone who has flown either DMs' VC10 or the new payware version from Just Flight will know that there is just a slight delay from moving the ailerons before the a/c starts to bank. Until I can find some way to adjust the feel of my controls to match that of a heavy jetliner then they will remain in the hanger. Don't know whether anyone else who has X-Plane 11 may agree with me on this one but if you know of a secret on how get round it..........please let me into it!! :lol:

What is needed is something along the lines of FSUIPC in X-Plane 11 though doubt if that will happen any time soon. There is a plugin that can be used found here:http://www.tosi-online.de/XPUIPC/What_is_it.html

But I am still not sure on how to do it.

The scenery itself as it comes out of the box is OK especially around areas with large towns/cities, it is when you get into the countryside that it can appear very barren so unless you are looking at purchasing add on scenery then orthoimagery is one way to go which I will be trying sometime over the next couple of weeks. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5199 ... r-windows/

I will endeavor to make a video showing X-Plane as it is bare boned, with no addons so you will get an idea of what to expect.

Hope the above goes someway in giving you an idea of what X-plane is all about, I will update this over the next few weeks.

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ok, I have now been able to record an eight minute video, my OBS Studio failed on a number of occasions so I downloaded BandiCam. The video was at Luton Airport, the default scenery can be very bland in certain areas with no trees in parts, I had only just downloaded a free plugin for X-Plane that gives head shake features, and is free, still playing about with it to get the settings as I like it, you can get it here: https://www.simcoders.com/headshake/fea ... d-download

Back to the video and one thing I really like about X Plane 11 are the runways, where a runway has a slight curve up or down X-Plane models that very well, Luton is one example as you will see. Also you have a torch that can be used when getting into a dark and cold cockpit, red or white light, I did use both of them when flying night time so you can see it.

No fancy stuff in the way of video editing, just a number of shots joined together. Watch in full screen and HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYXNtVJnp80

Regards
Nigel.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Hi Nigel

Is the vertical "tearing" during head movement in the video visible within XP-11, or is a something from the recording software?

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett