Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by Bjoern »

ChrisHunt wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 11:33
I tried out the Zibo 737-800 yesterday afternoon on a short hop from Manchester to Heathrow and it's certainly a beauty. On take off I left the flaps out too long with the result of overspeed damage. The subsequent approach to Heathrow was a bit more exciting than I wanted probably due to flap damage which resulted in a pronounced roll to the right when extending the flaps. Rudder and engine bias didn't work so a rather hurried retraction resulted in a flapless landing at 180 knots. What seriously impressed me though was that despite a rather systems heavy aircraft the flight over a heavily populated London was as smooth as.
Yep, can't complain about framerates with that bird.

The flight preparation, however, is still a bit annoying. Winds and temperatures aloft, surface wind, runway slope, transition altitiude, cost index....ugh.
I'm seriously considering writing a checklist for preparation. :lol:

Flight plan handling in the FMC is also sub optimal. If you screw up a waypoint, all you can do is start over. Wish I could use the actual keyboard instead of the mouse.

What's cool, however, is that 124th ATC picks a SID and STAR for you, so all you have to do is get your clearance or be on descent and then hack the assigned route into the FMC.

One huge drawback is that all the custom datarefs can't be saved, so you can't resume a flight if you can't finish it for whatever reason.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Blimey Bjoern I just hand flew my flight with the route from memory although I did get lost and ended up too high over London City airport - a quick spiral descent sorted that out. The extended finals also give me time to get set and get down in one piece. I have to say that airports in XP are very difficult to spot unless you know exactly where to look.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

What's cool, however, is that 124th ATC picks a SID and STAR for you, so all you have to do is get your clearance or be on descent and then hack the assigned route into the FMC.
Now that is cool! Going to have to try 124th ATC and see what it is like.
Anybody who's remotely into helicopters should give the freeware Bell 429 a try. It's nothing short of brilliant!
Not yet downloaded that one but through your post thought I would try out the default helicopter, have flown choppers in FSX but in X Plane 11 this is something completely different
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
See what I mean?!!! :doh: :wall: Back to Flight School!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

ChrisHunt wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 19:58
Blimey Bjoern I just hand flew my flight with the route from memory although I did get lost and ended up too high over London City airport - a quick spiral descent sorted that out. The extended finals also give me time to get set and get down in one piece. I have to say that airports in XP are very difficult to spot unless you know exactly where to look.
I'm a bit lost here...did you really take a 737 into LCY? :$

Nigel H-J wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 21:06
Now that is cool! Going to have to try 124th ATC and see what it is like.
Word of caution: Still no flight following (i.e. you have to have a flight plan), but apparently, you can fly according to VFR rules (not tested yet).

Not yet downloaded that one but through your post thought I would try out the default helicopter, have flown choppers in FSX but in X Plane 11 this is something completely different
>
>
See what I mean?!!! :doh: :wall: Back to Flight School!
Yeah, that looks about right for the default S76. :lol:

The 429 is much better to fly thanks to stability assist, but if you put it into autopilot, you'll have to use the button on the stick to disconnect the servos (the default button won't do).
I think the 429's key assignment is something with "flight director" or "FD" under the "412" section if you want to map it to the stick.
And disable "enable hardware throttles" from the "Plugins\412" menu, otherwise, the AP won't let go of the collective.

- Edit:

Well, sign me up, too. :lol:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well, sign me up, too.
:lol: :lol:
Many thanks for the info regarding 124th ATC and also the 429. Presently away for three days holidaying in the Costa Del Riviera du Anglaise......................... or put it in plain English................ Sunny Torquay!! 8) and boy, is it sunny and hot here at the moment! B-)

Regards
Nigel.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Not Lucy Bjoern Heathrow. Now that you've brought it up though... :lol:

Enjoy sunny Torquay Nigel, you're missing a slightly cooler East.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

ChrisHunt wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 18:11
Not Lucy Bjoern Heathrow. Now that you've brought it up though... :lol:
I predict a 737 going for a swim in the King George Dock or mowing down the GA ramp at the other end.

(Maximum landing weight for a wind corrected dry field length of 1400 m is 56.0 tons. Maximum takeoff weight for the same conditions is 57 tons. Good luck!)

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

Southend is a bit barren though (see streets with no houses). Lack of source data, I guess.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Enjoy sunny Torquay Nigel, you're missing a slightly cooler East.
Enjoyed it very much Chris, now back to train myself on helicopters so downloaded the Bell 429 as Bjoern suggested, did a couple of flights and it is much easier than the default S76. the handling is by far much better than that of FSX quality but you still have to be on top of the game when flying the Bell.

Great screen shots Bjoern, loved the cloud formation on the 1st picture, are you using third party clouds or are they the default ones?

Regards
Nigel.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

Nigel H-J wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:04
Great screen shots Bjoern, loved the cloud formation on the 1st picture, are you using third party clouds or are they the default ones?
All default. Didn't find good replacement textures so far as they tend to needlessly increase filesize and resolution.