Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by Nigel H-J »

All default.

Well, that had me fooled until you replied! :lol:

Had a major disaster with my computer last night, had a power surge and even though I have surge protectors it really messed up my computer to the point of not working. Of course with Win 10 it can do wonderful things when you have a major problem.....even the restore function did not work so got Win10 to clear everything on the disk and re-install. Believe me, I went through all the options to get it running again but Win 10 could not do its' magic.

Really annoyed as have to re-download X Plane 11 and start all over again with Ortho. :wall:

This time going to set it downloading all night, that saves a frustrating day! 8)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Do you not have XP on a separate drive to Windows? As long as the XP folder is OK, it'll still work as before.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Do you not have XP on a separate drive to Windows? As long as the XP folder is OK, it'll still work as before.
Hi Chris,
Unfortunately not! Have now downloaded overnight and although back on my C: Drive I am going to copy the whole folder across to my D: Drive so got it there as a much needed backup.

Now the big task is of having to re-do all the tiles I had (which I did not back up) :wall: The stern warning of my tutor when learning IT has not yet fully sunk in even though it was over 25 years ago and that was...…………………..BACK UP - BACK UP - BACK UP everything you do or else you have to do it all over again!! :poke:

How true is that? :$

Now off to do the tiles! 8)

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I wouldn't bother copying it mate, I'd just operate XP from your D drive full stop.

Never keep anything of importance on your C drive for this very reason.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I wouldn't bother copying it mate, I'd just operate XP from your D drive full stop.

Never keep anything of importance on your C drive for this very reason.

Thanks Chris, will try moving it over but one question regarding this, do I have to change anything regarding the move as when updating and it is on another drive the registry may still show it being on drive C.

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

When I was running an SSD C drive and a mechanical D drive, I copied the XP folder over to C and ran it to see how it performed. There were no issues at all.

I don't think it installs in the same way as FSX etc in that it seems fairly self contained.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

When I was running an SSD C drive and a mechanical D drive, I copied the XP folder over to C and ran it to see how it performed. There were no issues at all.

I don't think it installs in the same way as FSX etc in that it seems fairly self contained.

Thanks for that Chris, when time permits I will give it a shot.

Regards
Nigel.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

I can confirm what Chris says. When I bought my new mechanical hard drive I just copied the contents of the old onto the new, renamed the drive to match the old and was able to run X-Plane with no other changes.

Bjoern, a quick question - how are you able to upload images to display directly rather than through a 3rd party site?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris, many thanks for your input. As written earlier going to do it when I get the time.

Regards
Nigel.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

ChrisHunt wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 08:52
Bjoern, a quick question - how are you able to upload images to display directly rather than through a 3rd party site?
I generally use a third party site, but there's an "Attachments" tab below the "Save draft", "Preview", etc. buttons in the reply editor if you want to make the admins angry and use their valuable server storage space. ;)