X-Plane 11 My Verdict

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just spent the afternoon making up more Ortho Tiles but this time for the south coast of England. Took a number of flights to view the scenery and one flight in particular was from Gloucester Airport across to the Severn Bridge over to Chepstow and followed the River Wye along (otherwise known as The Wye Valley) to Monmouth.

Came back and located where my parents used to live near St Briavels their bungalow overlooked the valley giving a wonderful view.

Fly past over where they used to live. If only X Plane 11 had trees like Orbx Global Trees would make a lot of difference overall.

Flying parallel to the Wye Valley heading towards Chepstow, in the distance can be seen the Bristol Channel.

Cannot help wondering how much difference there will be regarding scenery when they release True Earth UK. :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I finally got round to it..........Using the G1000 for flights.

My first attempt was a bit of a cheat in that I used Littlenav Map, which is a truly excellent flight planner especially as it is free and can be used for FSX, P3D and X plane 11. It was just a quick flight from Bristol to Aberporth making the flight plan then exporting it to X Plane and loading it up in the G1000. After that I decided, after having quickly read how to insert a flight plan into it, got to work making a simple one from Bristol to Southampton with only one waypoint en-route. Had to remember to set the CDI to GPS and once airborne hit the Nav button after switching on the auto-pilot.

My next challenge will be to insert more into a flight plan including SID's but one thing I really hate is having to read the manual, much rather be shown so it looks to me like YouTube is one other way of learning.

Regards
Nigel.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Hi Nigel, good to see you back up and running.

I've found that most of the airfields I fly to don't have SIDs or STARs so I normally use the airfield as my last waypoint and fly a visual circuit. Of course you fly in the UK and I fly in Brazil so you might find more procedures at your end. I still find that most of my flying is VFR with X Plane, something that I rarely did in MSFS, but with good scenery and accurate landmarks, it's a real treat.

I did buy myself something to go a little faster, one of my all time favourite aircraft since I read about it in Alan Bramson's Book of Flight Tests decades ago.

https://xplanereviews.com/index.php?/fo ... -by-avia71

It's a slippery and complicated sod, and things like the pressurization system need a lot of care. It has a couple of little issues, but the author provides regular updates and is very active on the support forum.

All I need know is more time to learn how to fly it.......

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Nigel, good to see you back up and running.

Hi Alemaobaiano, Good to hear from you, it's great to be back in the cockpit, although there are a number of airports that have SIDS in England I usually when flying light aircraft just use the ones at flying clubs but will try some of the SIDS just to see how I cope.

That aircraft you showed looks to be a good one and especially like the cockpit setup, not all glass cockpit but analogue which I much prefer. Probably just old fashioned in my ways!! :lol:

Most of the time I just usually fly VOR to VOR with a couple of ADF's thrown in where available but unfortunately the DA 62 does not have an ADF selector so if flying a complex route I will now use the G1000 but fly manually, all I have to do is follow the line!!

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well I finally did it and after about 2 days of watching videos on YouTube on how to programme the FMC did a flight from Heathrow to Glasgow though not all went quite so straightforward as expected.

Did not want to select a SID for departure but instead use my own route, after take-off and selecting auto pilot plus VNAV and LNAV ended up flying it to my first waypoint BKY, thereafter all went well.

Between TNT and POL.

Regards
Nigel.

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

I've been trying to download X-Europe2 today, from http://simheaven.com/xp11-sceneries/

Somehow though all I do is keep going round in circles on their website - it seems as if there is no actual link for a download.

Please can someone tell me where I am going wrong . . .
:wall:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

http://simheaven.com/simdownloads/x-europe2/

Click on "Agree & Download" on the right hand side.
Dave G.

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Doh !!!
thanks muchly for the polite pointer, Dave

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Hi chaps,

I haven't flown XP for a while but decided to purchase Orbx TrueEarth Great Britain South today. It works out around £29.
I had previously flown around with a HD Mesh but wasn't overly impressed with the frame rate drop so returned to the default XP scenery. I've now been flying round looking at various places for well over an hour and I'm impressed!

A few screenshots...

Flying over Panshanger. I wasn't overly keen on how bold the roads are so came out of XP and into FTX Central 3 where I set the roads to transparent.

Flying past work (Stansted). The airport is UK2000 scenery which blends in nicely.

I followed the roads I use to go home until I reached home (Chelmsford). It was easy to tell where I was.

I then headed out to find a few WW2 airfields in the region...

I never did try OrthoXP but I suspect this will signal the end of that tool for the UK at least. A very impressive addition to XP.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

A few more taken over London. I'm pretty sure scenery like this would have had FSX on its knees.

Clouds removed to increase/enhance vis...

A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.