Large Windows 10 Update 20th May 2018

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Large Windows 10 Update 20th May 2018

Post by hobby »

A large Windows 10 update arrived on my computer today - it took 25 minutes to download and install!

I have cleaned up as many files as possible but I have been left with nine objects on my desktop. I am not computer savvy so I do not know why these objects are now cluttering up my screen - nor do I know what to do with them.

What are they for and can I somehow delete them?

Please advise.

These objects are:
Aida64 Complete
Aida64 Running
Burn in Test Test1
Burn in Test Test2
Firestrike 1.png
Firestrike 2.png
Performance Test 1.png
Performance Test 2.png
Shortcut to Microsoft Edge

I have never understood what Microsoft Edge is or does enlightenment would be welcome.

You have to do a lot of reading and make a number of choices after this download has fully installed and restarted your computer.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Large Windows 10 Update 20th May 2018

Post by DaveG »

No idea on the first lot. Never had them appear after updates. Googling Aida64 shows it to be a system diagnostic type program. Nothing to do with Microsoft. :dunno:

Microsoft Edge is a web browser, basically Internet Explorer replacement.

BTW, yesterday I turned on an oldish laptop that hadn't been used in nearly a year. The updates on that took over 6 hours! :-O
Dave G.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

DaveG wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:23
BTW, yesterday I turned on an oldish laptop that hadn't been used in nearly a year. The updates on that took over 6 hours! :-O
I tried similar recently with a 12 year old Acer laptop my son left behind when he moved out. I did have a W8 version struggling upon it. The battery expired before the W10 update could complete. :lol: I may try again later on with it plugged into the wall.
Alex

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Thanks for the help on Microsoft Edge.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

I had horrendous problems following this latest Windows update which somehow caused difficulties with Simconnect that in turn foxed all my A2A aircraft and Active Sky. :S :S :S Solved it with the help of folk at the A2A board :thumbsup: by backtracking one release and then installing some new Nvidia drivers. Sometimes I think this stuff is harder than it needs to be!!!! :dunno:

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

All of the objects excluding Microsoft Edge belonged to the proving tests carried out by the company who built my computer. Tech help there are as mystified as myself and know of no reason why these tests should suddenly appear on my desktop immediately after a large W10 update. I have had this computer for nearly three years and have never seen such test files before.

Answer from the tech people: "Delete all eight files, deletion will have no effect on the operation of your computer." Deletion done and my desktop is much tidier.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Good to hear that you have managed to get it sorted Hobby. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.