Still on the Phenom Trail repaint how to?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Still on the Phenom Trail repaint how to?

Post by hobby »

Raking around in the back of my FSX hangar I found another payware Phenom 100 - this one is by FeelThere and was published some years ago. I suspect that FeelThere are no longer in business and although the Carenado Phenom 100 looks the same on the outside the A/P and nav. systems perform differently. The FeelThere product also supplies a detailed manual containing a very useful set of instructions for the supplied test flight.
I was able to complete my own test flight from Southend to Edinburgh using the instructions for the FeelThere test flight as a guide. Fuel consumption seems very high and will need to be investigated but the main thing is that I managed to make the aircraft systems work and I arrived at the correct position to make an ILS approach and landed at the prescribed speed (also at the correct airport!).

I have done some simple repainting some years ago using DXTBMP and MSPaint - just simple stuff.

Searching the Internet I found a paintkit for the FeelThere aircraft. Yesterday I downloaded the latest version of DXTBMP and installed that program.
I have never used a 'paintkit' before but the Phenom 100 paintkit is an attractive grey toned set of textures. Now I have a dilemma, how best to use this paintkit? My usual repainting efforts have involved erasing all the painted textures from an FS9 acft. and then proceed to repaint using DXTBMP and MSPaint.

Can someone please tell me if it is possible to repaint over the grey toned areas so that they still show through - they are so well done I don't wish to waste those 'blank' textures - if not can a forum user tell me how best to proceed?

Prior to thinking about repainting I did try to apply repainted textures downloaded from the Internet for the Carenado Phenom 100 to the FeelThere Phenom 100 but that did not work.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Still on the Phenom Trail repaint how to?

Post by DaveG »

Paint kits are usually layered, so you'll need a paint prog that can handle layers such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Gimp (free). There should be a specific layer where you do the painting and the details are on layers above this site they won't get covered.
Dave G.

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Thanks Dave G. Another program to learn! I am off to find if Gimp appears in the context of repainting FSX aircraft.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

GIMP requires a DDS plugin to export FSX-compliant textures. Don't forget to merge all layers and vertically flip the image before exporting...and to save your progress BEFORE that.

And Feelthere is still in business.

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Pleased to read that FeelThere is still in business.

The real life up to date version of the Phenom 100 is the 100EV. More powerful engines, upgraded electronics and wing spoilers. I hope that a commercial company will produce the latest Phenoms for FSX. They are both beautiful aircraft and best sellers in the real world.

After spending hours watching YouTube films on painting FSX aircraft I have to admit that I am at present a bit lost. I am trying to find out if there is a local Computer Club near to me - it is so much easier to learn a program if someone who is familiar with that program sits with you and guides one through the process. So I have put Gimp in the "pending" box for the present.

Thanks for the guidance on dds files.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

I'd be very surprised if there were computer clubs specifically dealing with flightsim repaints. Creating content for flight sims has always been a "learnas you go" affair. No formal training, no holding hands. Just you and your goal.

My first repaints were nothing more than doodles to become familiar with the tools and workflow.

So get familiar with GIMP first, then apply that knowledge to painting aircraft and go from there.