Invitation from MS?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Invitation from MS?

Post by hobby »

I noticed an interesting little head up sign concerning my W10 settings this afternoon apparently from Microsoft. Following this up I was invited to delete a GB or two of old or unused files which McAfee and CCleaner had not previously removed. Taking a chance I pressed the requisite button and low and behold after a while I was informed that all the excess files had been deleted from my computer. My computer does seem to be running more smoothly after that process finished.

Just one thing, I was then invited by the electronic MS God, to install a brand new edition of W10! At that point I stopped - is this a scam that has evaded countermeasures? Just because the first bit worked does not mean that an invite to re-install W10 should be accepted willy nilly.

Has any other forum user in the UK received these messages and what action have they decided to take?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Invitation from MS?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Hobby, if I got anything like that as you did then I would completely ignore it regardless.

Just do not trust anything that pops up and tells that I can obtain better performance or even create more space on my hard drive by clicking on a button.

My machine is running OK and as the old adage goes. "If it 'aint broke then leave it alone" springs to mind.

I would not even re-install a brand new edition of Win10 as the one you already have will be updated to match any present Win 10 on the market! Unless of course it is an upgrade to a higher version!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I had automatic updates nagging me today to update win 10. I have updates set to manual, as I dislike automatic updates deciding mid flight to shut down and restart!!
The last two updates I have had to roll back as it screwed up my multi monitor settings, both in fsx and p3d v4 . Anyway today's efforts seem to work ok, as a flight after the update, all works correctly.
I have seen Microsoft suggest releasing disk space by deleting unused files from previous windows installs, but if the pop up was indeed some sort of malware it's already in your computer, and a thorough search with anti malware is required.
Dale
Image Image Image

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Just scanned for Malaware - none detected. Thanks for that pointer.

Nigel please check your emails.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Hobby :hello: , just replied! :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.